Crashes during open dialoge

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

steve27

Post by steve27 »

Hi I have Amadeus Pro 1.4.1 and when I select File:Open I get the directory box but the spinner and then the program crashes.

This is on a Powerbook G4 running Leopard 10.5.7

Any ideas? Could there be a corrupt file somewhere?

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Is this a new phenomenon -- has the program worked in the past?

Try the usual first and second options for recalcitrant programs;
Download and reinstall
If that doesn't fix it, try it on a different user; that should tell you
whether it is some random preference file.

Chuck

steve27 wrote:
Hi I have Amadeus Pro 1.4.1 and when I select File:Open I get the directory box but the spinner and then the program crashes.

This is on a Powerbook G4 running Leopard 10.5.7

Any ideas? Could there be a corrupt file somewhere?

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

steve27

Post by steve27 »

First off I apologize, this is NOT just Amadeus, it's happening with other apps too.

Thanks for the advice however, because it IS just in my main user account.

I have tried, Applejack, Disk Utility, Cocktail and nothing is fixing this. Open dialgue boxes, save as boxes dont' work.

In fact even trying to navigate directly to the "utilities folder" via the menu or key command doesn't work, weird. The folder opens, closes, the finder relaunches by itself.

If anyone has any ideas on this I'd appreciate them but again it's not Amadeus. I have a call in to Apple.

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Simple minded options --

If you boot in safe mode does it do it?

I could suggest reinstalling the latest combo installer (or the latest
one you did) but with the problems depending on the user, I doubt that
it is the problem. I would probably pull out all of the prefs from the
user library folder and see if that fixes it. If you are industrious,
you could probably put half of them back and repeat until you find the
right (wrong) ones.

Chuck

steve27 wrote:
First off I apologize, this is NOT just Amadeus, it's happening with other apps too.

Thanks for the advice however, because it IS just in my main user account.

I have tried, Applejack, Disk Utility, Cocktail and nothing is fixing this. Open dialgue boxes, save as boxes dont' work.

In fact even trying to navigate directly to the "utilities folder" via the menu or key command doesn't work, weird. The folder opens, closes, the finder relaunches by itself.

If anyone has any ideas on this I'd appreciate them but again it's not Amadeus. I have a call in to Apple.

Charles D. Jonah CDJonah@anl.gov
630-252-3471
Chemistry Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439

steve27

Post by steve27 »

First off Charles, I really appreciate your help here.

I did try safe mode, didn't work. I deleted all preferences, didn't work, talked to Apple, no help. So I created a new user account, copied all my files there, changed permissions, got everything pretty much back working, although I'm sure in the next few days there will be preferences and things that I have to fix up (mail lost my auto fill of recent emails, for example.)

All in all I did get it. The entire user account became corrupted somehow, I think when I upgraded to 10.5.7, but possibly from something else, like installing ProTools, or the BFD drum instrument. Who knows? I've had this powerbook and user account for 5+ years and I guess it just had to go!

Take care,
Steve