multiple tracks

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

anechoic

multiple tracks

Post by anechoic »

I am having difficulty finding how to open/import a stereo sound file in a newly created stereo track in Amadeus Pro

I read the manual and wasn't able to find any discussion of track management

=====
OK drag and drop seems to do it
but it would be nice to have a right-click option to open a new file in a track

also, is there any way to mute and solo tracks?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

multiple tracks

Post by Martin Hairer »

I am having difficulty finding how to open/import a stereo sound
file in a newly created stereo track in Amadeus Pro
You can just drag the file onto the open window. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

You can mute a track by unchecking the "Play" checkbox. You can play a track alone by double-clickig in it. Regards,

Martin

anechoic

Post by anechoic »

doubling clicking in the track in order to 'solo' a track is not very useful when wanting to quickly check individual tracks while a multi-track file is playing

it is useful for other tasks and is nice to have as an alternative way to play a track from an arbitrary point

but double clicking inside a track interrupts the flow of the playback and chasing a moving play cursor in order to match the approx location in the adjacent track is cumbersome

the only workaround is to turn all the 'play' toggles to off and toggle them to 'play' one by one

can we get solo and mute buttons in the future? but also keep the 'double click in a track to play' feature as well?

Gerard Bik

multiple tracks

Post by Gerard Bik »

doubling clicking the 'play' toggle to solo a track is not very intuitive
can we get solo and mute buttons in the future?
This depends where you are coming from, I guess.
To me it is perfectly intuitive to start playing anywhere in any track by double clicking there.
And the mute button is already in place under a different name.

regards from a former Amadeus II user
--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

anechoic

Re: multiple tracks

Post by anechoic »

GerardBik wrote: This depends where you are coming from, I guess.
I do this for a living -- so I'm coming at it from that perspective plus 25 years of sound editing experience
To me it is perfectly intuitive to start playing anywhere in any track by double clicking there.
yes for certain tasks this may be true but not as a way of SOLO'ing a track
the 'mute' button being under a different name is intuitive how exactly?
sorry, but if you are doing this professionally this just is not intuitive as compared to how 99% of all other editing apps on the market do things

it is NOT intuitive to try and reinvent the wheel by creating new UI nomenclature thereby confusing users wanting to migrate to a new and possibly better tool

all one needs to do is look at Wave Editor for an example of what NOT to do when designing a sound editing app!
:)

CDJonah_alt

multiple tracks

Post by CDJonah_alt »

I really shouldn't get into this but good sense has never stopped me in
the past, so why should it start now?

As Gerhard says, it depends on where you come from. Just because you
have done things one way for 25 years, does not make it intuitive; it
means you have been trained to it.

After more than 45 years using computers, I always have to remember,
just because I did it this way in the past, doesn't mean I should or
have to do it in the future. (of course, not all 45 years were with
gui's). Anything other than the simplest operation has multiple ways
that can be natural.

Chuck

anechoic wrote:
GerardBik wrote:
This depends where you are coming from, I guess.

I do this for a living -- so I'm coming at it from that perspective plus 25 years of sound editing experience

yes for certain tasks this may be true but not as a way of SOLO'ing a track

the 'mute' button being under a different name is intuitive how exactly?
sorry, but if you are doing this professionally this just is not intuitive as compared to how 99% of all other editing apps on the market do things

it is NOT intuitive to try and reinvent the wheel by creating new UI nomenclature thereby confusing users wanting to migrate to a new and possibly better tool

all one needs to do is look at Wave Editor for an example of what NOT to do when designing a sound editing app!

Charles D. Jonah CDJonah@anl.gov
630-252-3471
Chemistry Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439

anechoic

Post by anechoic »

@Chuck
yes but the market place of audio apps reinforces/rewards better and clearer ways of doing things - not less clear and unintuitive ways

hence in audio editing 'mute' and 'solo' have been accepted as universal nomenclature for a good reason - they do what they say they do: mute a track or solo a track

why adopt 'play' on/off toggle and double clicking in a track to solo a track as primary editing behaviors when 99% of all audio editing apps use solo and mute?

sorry but unless a label is even more clear and concise it is only getting in the way of workflow

again, reinventing UI nomenclature on a new audio editing application is confusing and most often unnecessary - especially if you want pro's to use this as a serious tool

no disrespect intended here at all but it's one thing to be a hobbyist and quite another to edit sound professionally and having to be reliant on clear and consistent functionality/labeling in order to work quickly and unencumbered by pet-names that only make sense to the programs creator