wish list

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

anechoic

wish list

Post by anechoic »

I'm thinking of making the switch from Peak to Amadeus Pro and purchased a copy of AP to evaluate. I've done editing for many years starting with Sound Designer II and Alchemy then moved onto Pro Tools and Peak. But Peak is way too expensive for what it does and there are issues with the version of Peak that I've been using.

I really like AP - and it is ALMOST a serious editing tool but there are a couple of important things on my wish list in order to consider it a contender to Peak:
(sorry if I'm rehashing old issues here!)
======================

- real time VST plugs -- 'preview' mode just doesn't cut it for mastering and finessing sound files while doing sound design.

- metering in the main window somewhere -- having an extra window hanging around is cumbersome when working within the limited screen real-estate of a laptop. Maybe next to the Volume or Horizontal Zoom?
- Also, customize the metering functions in prefs (peak hold time, ballistics, overage counts or clip hold, etc).

- key combos under the hood -- not in the system prefs -- consider how many mouse clicks it takes to customize AP - if there is a task I do often I just want to make it part of my keyboard quickly not leave the app, launch the System Prefs panel, click on Keyboard & Mouse then Keyboard Shortcuts and search for the function and twiddle around with this for 20 minutes or so.

- incorporate the 'loop playback' into the playback controllers i.e. a play loop button next to the play button. Or a pull down like in the record button with a selectable 'loop mode.'

- a way to see X and Y coords when mousing over the sound file.
- and sample units on the Y axis so I can see whether I'm looking at decimal, number or percentage.

- click in overview window to play from that point -- really makes editing SO much faster when you can move around quickly from section to section without scrolling and hunting.

- a select zoom function as a key combo? also makes homing in on small sections much much quicker.

- ability to route each individual track to the output of a particular I/O card not just the 5 channels. Not sure about the L, C, R, back right and back left model...why constrict the soundfile format to this?
- For example: I want to route eight tracks of my AP project file to the eight outputs of my PreSonus Firebox.
- also, put the sound panel with advanced settings on one pane and accessible via a icon on toolbar for easy access.

- Looping a file: when I loop a selection and move the beginning and end markers the loop doesn't adjust to the new marker locations unless I stop and restart the playback. I need realtime marker adjustment for making good loops.

that's all I can think of for now...if there are workarounds or tips for doing some of these things please feel free to chime in and let me know!
:)
Last edited by anechoic on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDJonah_alt

wish list

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Just drag the window in the overview window to where you want. You can
also set the size of the "main window" in the overview window.
- click in overview window to play from that point -- really makes editing SO much faster when you can move around quickly from section to section without scrolling and hunting.

--
Charles D. Jonah CDJonah@anl.gov
630-252-3471
Chemistry Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439

anechoic

Re: wish list

Post by anechoic »

[quote="CDJonah_alt"]Just drag the window in the overview window to where you want. You can
also set the size of the "main window" in the overview window.
[quote]

sorry I wasn't clear:
- I meant that I'd like be able to double click in the overview window and have my soundfile start playing from that location.
So for example let's say I'm zoomed into a section at the beginning of the soundfile but quickly want to check something towards the end of the file. So I would go to the overview window and double click on approx the location I want to play from. And depending on whether or not my file is set to auto-scroll it would or wouldn't jump to that location in the main window.
Also, if I highlight a selection then click in the overwiew window the main window will jump to that location BUT if I hit the space-bar the file only plays from the selection start point...if I could double click on the overview window I could 'override' the selection and play from the location clicked on in the overview window...
not sure if this is any clearer -- but Peak does this and it makes for very quick editing and checking on different parts of a file.
:)

dkershaw

Post by dkershaw »

Would also like to add my support behind the suggestion to renovate the 'loop playback' functionality. Preferably this would be for me in the Sound menu and with a keyboard shortcut of Cmd-L.

What I'm doing at the moment is selecting a section within a WAV file I'm working on in order to create a loop with. By keyboard shortcut I would then Cmd-C, Cmd-N, Cmd-V, Space. Unfortunately this doesn't start my new clip looping, I have to use the mouse to drag my new window up just to be able to see the 'Loop playback' checkbox that needs ticking. A bit of a kink in my workflow at the moment.