Mono recording strangely truncated: Is this normal?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

syncrasy

Post by syncrasy »

I'm trying to record a mono track in Amadeus Pro with a mono microphone, but the recording levels are strangely truncated. If I set the levels properly for a stereo recording, then try to record in mono using the same levels, the meter shows only green/yellow, but never red, even if I scream into the microphone. The resultant recording (not including the screaming, which is clipped), is significantly quieter than a stereo recording made at the same recording levels, and visually, the sound wave seems to be restricted to within the two gray lines (I don't know what they are called) that run above and below the middle line.

If I record in stereo mode (actually, only the Left channel) first, then convert to mono, the resulting audio is also quieter than the "stereo" version. I have to amplify the recording to achieve a proper sound level. I know I could do this as a workaround, but I am hoping to record straight to a mono track so that I can hear the sound in both the L and R speakers when I review the recording. (I'm doing a lot of short clips that require frequent review.)

I have used two different microphones (an inexpensive USB computer mic and a professional M-Audio USB mic), with the same results.

Am I doing something wrong?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Mono recording not possible?

Post by Martin Hairer »

I'm trying to record a mono track in Amadeus Pro with a mono
microphone, but the recording levels are strangely truncated. If I
set the levels properly for a stereo recording, then try to record
in mono using the same levels, the meter shows only green/yellow,
but never red, even if I scream into the microphone. The resultant
recording (not including the screaming, which is clipped), is
significantly quieter than a stereo recording made at the same
recording levels, and visually, the sound wave seems to be
restricted to within the two gray lines (I don't know what they are
called) that run above and below the middle line.
It reminds me of a bug I fixed some time ago. Which version of Amadeus
Pro are you using? Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

syncrasy

Re: Mono recording not possible?

Post by syncrasy »

Martin Hairer wrote: It reminds me of a bug I fixed some time ago. Which version of Amadeus
Pro are you using?
I'm using Amadeus Pro v. 1.3.1 (the most recent version, I believe).

stickwolf

Me too!

Post by stickwolf »

I have this same exact problem. version 1.3.1, OS 10.5.3

I'm using a Konnekt interface from TC. Clipped output from the input results in a -5.9dB wave form in Amadeus when recording to a mono file. Very annoying for what I want which is to do quick and dirty mono output to an mp3 that is functional for someone to later go listen to. I don't want it to save a 1/2 volume file.

I almost gave up on Amadeus and just now joined the forum to find out about this. I hope this is fixed ASAP.

Thanks,
Aaron Wolf

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

I'm using a Konnekt interface from TC. Clipped output from the
input results in a -5.9dB wave form in Amadeus when recording to a
mono file. Very annoying for what I want which is to do quick and
dirty mono output to an mp3 that is functional for someone to later
go listen to. I don't want it to save a 1/2 volume file.
OK, I'll have a look at it. One workaround of course is to normalise
before saving the file... Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

syncrasy

Re: Mono recording strangely truncated: Is this normal?

Post by syncrasy »

Martin Hairer wrote:One workaround of course is to normalise
before saving the file
I used two batch processes (after recording my clips): 1) convert to mono, and 2) normalize, which worked perfectly. (I have over 150 clips, so the batch process feature is very much appreciated; I will happily upgrade to A. Pro in the near future.)

But I still would like to be able to record directly to a mono track that retains the original levels, so I appreciate your looking into this, Martin.

Thanks.

stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

I've actually not had this trouble in certain circumstances now. When I choose different inputs - such as mono-center vs mono-front it behaves differently.

I have to say that I strongly dislike Amadeus's defaulting to 5-channel concept. It is great to have the option to work that way, but if I want to just work in stereo, I should not have those things even show, front back and such. And if I'm recording in mono, I should have just a single mono meter and everything should be consistent for not having that stuff.

I only have a stereo system and I expect the majority of Amadeus users also only have stereo monitors in their audio set up. It seems stereo should be the default and the 5-channel should be an option.

Having said that, it work out that the input from my interface that I most often want to record from is channel 5, and so selecting mono-center in the record thing sets an ideal default for me. And with that setting, I'm actually getting all the results from Amadeus that I currently want.

-Aaron