Multi Track Splitting and id3 tags

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

pkaganis

Post by pkaganis »

I have been using the trial version of Amadeus and decided to buy it today. However I'm disappointed about the following issues listed below. I'm hoping that these are not issues and that I just need to be a educated. I did not discover this in the trial period because I did not have the time to spend during the 30 day trial and did not test it extensively when I did test.

Issue 1:
I like to record live concerts and break them down into individual tracks. Now that I have the purchased version, I decided to really test it out. I separated all my tracks with markers and chose to Split According To Markers. I realized that I was not asked for ID information but I later found that I should enter the tag information in the Show Sound Info section. However, I haven't found a way of adding the track number to the files. The first marker should be Track 1 and the second should be Track 2, etc. Is there any way to accomplish this? Sorting a list of 20 tracks and entering the info is time consuming. Audacity, which is free, has the ability of adding the track number as the file splits by marker.

Issue 2:
Why are the tracks converted to MP3 Document? What is this compared to MP3? I want all my MP3's to remain consistent so that if I click on an MP3, the default will be iTunes.

Issue 1 is very big for me and can be a deal breaker. If I choose, can I "return" Amadeus Pro and get a refund? I hope it doesn't come to this because I like Amadeus' functionality and chose it over Audacity. I hate to go back.

Thanks for you help.
Perry

Tristan

Re: Multi Track Splitting and id3 tags

Post by Tristan »

Issue 1 has lost me a fair bit of time too. After splitting a file into MP3s, I generally have to use MP3 ID3X (bulk ID tag editor) to add the missing track numbers and track titles to the ID tags. To avoid having to re-sort the tracks back into the right order, I manually add the track numbers to the start of each marker name before splitting, since the marker name determines the filename. It would be ideal if MP3 ID titles were automatically inherited from marker names, and track numbers from the markers' order - or if one were presented with options for rules like these before one saves the split files.

Regarding issue 2, there's no difference between MP3s and MP3 documents, except which application they're currently associated with. To have all your Amadeus-made MP3s always open in iTunes, select one such MP3 document in the Finder; hit command-i for Get Info; under "Open with" select iTunes; then click on "Change All" to make iTunes the default application for all files of that type.

Tristan

p.s. I suspect the more you work with it, the more you'll enjoy working with Amadeus and find it to be unequivocally superior to Audacity, despite a few scattered weaknesses, so I'd say don't let the ID tag issue give you a premature case of buyer's remorse. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Issue 1 has lost me a fair bit of time too. After splitting a file
into MP3s, I have to use MP3 ID3X (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5840
) (bulk ID tag editor) to add track numbers and track titles to the
ID tags.
Strange, I could have sworn that version 1.2.1 does this
automatically, but you seem to be right. I'll have a detailed look
into that later today... Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

OK, the hidden "HSNameTracks" preference should do the trick. See
Section 10 (page 29) in the manual.
Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft

pkaganis

Post by pkaganis »

Tristan:

Thanks for your reply back, your information and your advice. You're right, Amadeus Pro is superior to Audacity on many levels and I guess it was a case of buyer's remorse. I purchased it last night at 8:30 PM and worked with it until 1 am and I was getting tired and cranky. I just don't like to post a question unless I've exhausted my research because I don't want to look like a lazy user.

I'm new to the Mac world and I used one application to record the wav file (LPRecorder), another to split and convert to MP3 the wav file (LPRipper) which added the track number to the filename, and another (Musicmatch) to edit the track tags based on the file name. When I saw Audacity take the marker tag and add the track number, I thought for sure that Amadeus would do the same. Both applications allow me to add Artist/Album/Year and a few other tags before splitting but only audacity added track 1 to the first split and 2 to the second and so on. I thought I had in Amadeus a tool to record and process my recordings within one application. That may be the case based on Martin's response.

Martin:

Thanks also for your response. I followed the directions on page 29 in the manual and it worked...sort of. The first track was labeled as Track "1 of 19", the second was only "20", the third "30" through the last track which was "190". Apparently a zero was appended to the track number. I tried it this morning and perhaps I was rushed into doing it (ie I don't know if I had to or if I did restart Amadeus Pro). When I get home tonight I will try it again. In the meantime, have you seen or heard of this type of result? Is there something else I can try?

Thanks,
Perry

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

The markers I get when I use the shortcut "m" are numbered sequentially. Marker 01 - Marker 02 - etc.
When I change "Marker" to "Track" and leave the number, It goes Track 01 - Track 02 - Track 03 - etc.

But this is probably not what you mean.

regards

Tristan:

Thanks for your reply back, your information and your advice. You're right, Amadeus Pro is superior to Audacity on many levels and I guess it was a case of buyer's remorse. I purchased it last night at 8:30 PM and worked with it until 1 am and I was getting tired and cranky. I just don't like to post a question unless I've exhausted my research because I don't want to look like a lazy user.

I'm new to the Mac world and I used one application to record the wav file (LPRecorder), another to split and convert to MP3 the wav file (LPRipper) which added the track number to the filename, and another (Musicmatch) to edit the track tags based on the file name. When I saw Audacity take the marker tag and add the track number, I thought for sure that Amadeus would do the same. Both applications allow me to add Artist/Album/Year and a few other tags before splitting but only audacity added track 1 to the first split and 2 to the second and so on. I thought I had in Amadeus a tool to record and process my recordings within one application. That may be the case based on Martin's response.

Martin:

Thanks also for your response. I followed the directions on page 29 in the manual and it worked...sort of. The first track was labeled as Track "1 of 19", the second was only "20", the third "30" through the last track which was "190". Apparently a zero was appended to the track number. I tried it this morning and perhaps I was rushed into doing it (ie I don't know if I had to or if I did restart Amadeus Pro). When I get home tonight I will try it again. In the meantime, have you seen or heard of this type of result? Is there something else I can try?

Thanks,
Perry
--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

pkaganis

Post by pkaganis »

You're right, that's not what I mean. I don't need the track number in the marker label. I need it to be entered in the id3 tag and it needs to start with "1" for the first split file and increment by 1 for the subsequent numbers.

Thanks.

Perry

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

I see. I never use id3 tags. After a "split according to markers" my
tracks are numbered in the track name. I burn them to cd and that's
all I need.

Have a good time hunting Amadeus hidden functionality.

regards
--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

pkaganis

Post by pkaganis »

Thanks Gerard. I'm more of an MP3 maker and store it in iTunes kind of guy so I'm very particular about my tags.

To that end, Martin, is there any way we can enter our own Genre when setting up the tags? This is less important as I can always edit that in one shot in iTunes. The track numbers issue is more important as I would have to change each track individually. I'm looking forward to your response as I will test my output again tonight.

Perry

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

In the meantime, have you seen or heard of this type of result?
No, I haven't. I just tried to split a file into 22 tracks and I got
expected results.
Is there something else I can try?
What about the version at <http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip
? This is the latest beta version, which is what I used for testing.
If you still encounter that problem with the track numbers, please
show me the precise steps to reproduce it.

By the way, this beta version also allows you to enter your own
genres. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft

Tristan

HSNameTracks hidden preference

Post by Tristan »

Martin Hairer wrote:OK, the hidden "HSNameTracks" preference should do the trick. See
"HSNameTracks" messes up my "Split According to Markers" operations in Amadeus Pro 1.2.1, 1.3 beta 3, and the new 1.3 beta 4.

I went into Terminal and typed

defaults write com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro HSNameTracks 1

...then I opened Amadeus and tried splitting a track according to its markers, and the operation aborted with an error message:

"An exception was raised. *** -[NSCFString boolValue]: selector not recognized [self = 0x152906d0]"

I went back to Terminal and set HSNameTracks to 0, and the same error persisted. I messed around with other factors, to no avail. Finally, I used PlistEdit Pro to examine com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro, and decided to remove the HSNameTracks preference altogether. That solved the problem; Split According to Markers now works for me again in all versions of Amadeus Pro.

I'm on OS 10.4.10.

pkaganis

Post by pkaganis »

What about the version at <http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip

If you still encounter that problem with the track numbers, please
show me the precise steps to reproduce it.
Martin:
I'm still having an issue with the track numbers. Let me start by telling you that I'm on 10.5.2 and I restarted my iMac before doing anything.

I downloaded 1.3 beta 4 and then issued the hidden command in Terminal again. I then opened the application and imported a wav file, placed 5 markers, added id3v2.3 information for Album/Artist/Year/Genre, Split according to Markers choosing MP3 as the format, then clicked SPLIT. I moved the new files into iTunes and track one contained "10" followed by "20" through to "50". All other tag information was correct including the Genre which I typed in.

I went back into Terminal and set the value back to 0 and of course I did not get a track value. I then set it to 2 and it went back to the "10" increments.

What do you make of this? Do I have something set incorrectly? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,
PK

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

OK, it seems that iTunes does recognise track numbers correctly only
if they are encoded as for example "7/12", whereas Amadeus Pro would
encode them as "7 / 12" (with spaces around the slash). I've changed
the beta version so it should work now. It should also fix the strange
error message that Tristan reported.
Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft

benevision

Re: HSNameTracks hidden preference

Post by benevision »

Tristan wrote:
Martin Hairer wrote:OK, the hidden "HSNameTracks" preference should do the trick. See
"HSNameTracks" messes up my "Split According to Markers" operations in Amadeus Pro 1.2.1, 1.3 beta 3, and the new 1.3 beta 4.

I went into Terminal and typed

defaults write com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro HSNameTracks 1

...then I opened Amadeus and tried splitting a track according to its markers, and the operation aborted with an error message:

"An exception was raised. *** -[NSCFString boolValue]: selector not recognized [self = 0x152906d0]"

I went back to Terminal and set HSNameTracks to 0, and the same error persisted. I messed around with other factors, to no avail. Finally, I used PlistEdit Pro to examine com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro, and decided to remove the HSNameTracks preference altogether. That solved the problem; Split According to Markers now works for me again in all versions of Amadeus Pro.

I'm on OS 10.4.10.
I have the same error!
But I don't have PlistEdit Pro to fix it.
I can't split to markers anymore.
Any suggestions?

(I'm using OS 10.4.11/Amadeus Pro 1.2.1)

pkaganis

Post by pkaganis »

Martin:

SUCCESS!! Using beta 6.

The track names are working as you said: "1 of 15"..."15 of 15". I did a preliminary test this morning before going to work and I will test some more tonight using a real file in a real "keep" situation.

PS I'm not a fan of the "# of #" format. When I import a CD, I usually get rid of the "of" part. Is this an option or should I leave well enough alone? I'm happy the way it is because I can change it with one command.

Thanks so much for your help and sorry about the initial refund talk. Now, what's wrong with Tristan...

PK :D