Recording a Sibelius piece with Amedeus Pro

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

bdeschenes

Recording a Sibelius piece with Amedeus Pro

Post by bdeschenes »

Hello everyone,

I am a newcomer. I want to be able to record a piece I have written with the notation software Sibelius.

Normally (I think), I should simply click on record in Amadeus, then click play in Sibelius and what is being played should record. Nop! It does not work.

I am sure it is a question of config, but I am not sure where to look: in Amadeus or my OS.

An suggestion will be most welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Bruno :?:
--------------------
Bruno Deschenes
bruno@musis.ca

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

An extra step or two is required if you want to record an application's audio with another application. Here are 4 possible solutions to your situation.

Solution #1 is to physically connect your Mac's "headphones" jack to its "line in" jack with a 3.5 mm (eighth-inch) audio cord. Set your input source to "Line In" under Amadeus' Preferences... > Audio tab. Adjust the system's output volume to a reasonable level (System Preferences > Sound Preference Pane). Now you can use Amadeus to record your Mac's sound output, which includes Sibelius' playback but also any alert sounds or other applications' sounds.

Solution #2 is to download Jack OS X. This freeware provides a way to route audio from one application to another.

Solution #3 is to use Audio Hijack Pro to do the recording. This $32 shareware is a self-contained interface that records audio from any application. After capturing Sibelius' output in Audio Hijack as an AIFF or WAV, open the resulting file in Amadeus for editing.

Solution #4, since you need to capture from Sibelius, would be to use File > Save As Audio Track from within Sibelius itself. But you must have Kontakt Player Silver or Gold installed to save audio tracks this way. Check to see if you already have Kontakt Player - it often comes with Sibelius.

Yours,

Tristan

bdeschenes

Post by bdeschenes »

Dear Tristan,

Thanks a lot! I will take a look at that!

Bruno
--------------------
Bruno Deschenes
bruno@musis.ca