So how much db Amadeus Pro shows in

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

appleimac

Post by appleimac »

Hello there. I use Amadeus pro, and I wondered how much db it shows in wave form? I mean does it show all the sound even than 1db? I wondered cause there's quite difference when I see it in Soundtrack Pro. In Amadeus it's not like sound form is compressed and peaked so much, but in Soundtrack. So it's worry to add effects like Limiter.

Cheers.

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

AP is linear in signal intensity. If Soundtrack Pro is linear in dB,
things will look a lot different! (The latter of course would be the
log of the former so from 0 to -20 dB would take up 90% of of the scale
and -20 to -40 dB will take up 9% of the scale in AP).

Chuck

appleimac wrote:
Hello there. I use Amadeus pro, and I wondered how much db it shows in wave form? I mean does it show all the sound even than 1db? I wondered cause there's quite difference when I see it in Soundtrack Pro. In Amadeus it's not like sound form is compressed and peaked so much, but in Soundtrack. So it's worry to add effects like Limiter.

Cheers.

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

appleimac

Re: So how much db Amadeus Pro shows in

Post by appleimac »

Ah, so.... should have no worry about that? Confused a little.
CDJonah_alt wrote:AP is linear in signal intensity. If Soundtrack Pro is linear in dB,
things will look a lot different! (The latter of course would be the
log of the former so from 0 to -20 dB would take up 90% of of the scale
and -20 to -40 dB will take up 9% of the scale in AP).

Chuck

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

appleimac wrote:Ah, so.... should have no worry about that? Confused a little.
The sound is the same, it's just that the display looks different. A 'linear' display (equal spacing for equal voltage changes) will show 6dB about halfway down the scale (-6dB is half the voltage): a 'logarithmic' display (equal spacing for equal changes in decibels, which is more how the ear perceives it) would probably show it about a quarter of the way down: and quieter levels will 'look' quieter on a linear display than on a logarithmic one. So in APro you can expect the quieter bits to look quieter than in Soundtack Pro (assuming that does have a log display) but it doesn't affect the actual sound.

Bottom line: don't worry about it and use your ears to make the final judgment on changes.

appleimac

Post by appleimac »

rfwilmut wrote:
appleimac wrote:Ah, so.... should have no worry about that? Confused a little.
The sound is the same, it's just that the display looks different. A 'linear' display (equal spacing for equal voltage changes) will show 6dB about halfway down the scale (-6dB is half the voltage): a 'logarithmic' display (equal spacing for equal changes in decibels, which is more how the ear perceives it) would probably show it about a quarter of the way down: and quieter levels will 'look' quieter on a linear display than on a logarithmic one. So in APro you can expect the quieter bits to look quieter than in Soundtack Pro (assuming that does have a log display) but it doesn't affect the actual sound.

Bottom line: don't worry about it and use your ears to make the final judgment on changes.
Hmm... I think I see it than before. It's stille a complicated since I'm a Japanese I'm not good at those kind of tech words.

But simply saying it looks quiter cause it uses faster showing way? (which is why AP doesn't have a db reference pane in editor), and that's the reason why SP is too slow to show it which I also was wondering why.
And yes I knew sound was not different but I refered the form to know if it's too compressed or not. But should change my mind... to just believe my ears.

Anyways thanks for Jonah and rfwilmut.

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

I'ts difficult to descibe the difference in simple language, but I'll try:

Sound is converted into electrical currents: doubling the intensity of the sound doubles the electrical level. A simple metering system just shows the levels in this way: so if you doubled the electrical level, and then doubled it again, the second doubling would take up twice the space on the meter (like 2 to 4 (2 steps), then 4 to 8 (5 steps).

The human ear doesn't work this way: it hears each doubling as an equal increment (step): hence 2 to 4 - one increment: 4 to 8 - one increment: - 8 to 16 - one increment: and so on.

The decibel scale shows the levels in this way, and so reflects more accurately what you hear. Each doubling of power = 3dB: each doubling of voltage (and hence quadrupling of power) = 6dB. (Power = volts times current (amps) - double the voltage you also double the current and so quadruple the power. Ohm's Law: Volts = Amps times resistance in Ohms: Amps = Volts divided by Resistance. Resistance = Volts divided by Amps.).

Decibel scale meters are normally used in professional studio equipment, but some computer programs use linear displays - each step representing the same increase in voltage. When this is done only the loudest bits show clearly on the meter and the quiet bits tend to be bunched together.

I have to say that on my wish list for APro would be a calibrated decibel meter, rather larger than the present one.

appleimac

Post by appleimac »

rfwilmut wrote:I'ts difficult to descibe the difference in simple language, but I'll try:

Sound is converted into electrical currents: doubling the intensity of the sound doubles the electrical level. A simple metering system just shows the levels in this way: so if you doubled the electrical level, and then doubled it again, the second doubling would take up twice the space on the meter (like 2 to 4 (2 steps), then 4 to 8 (5 steps).

The human ear doesn't work this way: it hears each doubling as an equal increment (step): hence 2 to 4 - one increment: 4 to 8 - one increment: - 8 to 16 - one increment: and so on.

The decibel scale shows the levels in this way, and so reflects more accurately what you hear. Each doubling of power = 3dB: each doubling of voltage (and hence quadrupling of power) = 6dB. (Power = volts times current (amps) - double the voltage you also double the current and so quadruple the power. Ohm's Law: Volts = Amps times resistance in Ohms: Amps = Volts divided by Resistance. Resistance = Volts divided by Amps.).

Decibel scale meters are normally used in professional studio equipment, but some computer programs use linear displays - each step representing the same increase in voltage. When this is done only the loudest bits show clearly on the meter and the quiet bits tend to be bunched together.

I have to say that on my wish list for APro would be a calibrated decibel meter, rather larger than the present one.
Sorry for Im late to reply.

Well, I kinda understood that... I think. Still a bit confused but I got that db is more friendly to see comparing to simple one.

Yes, I want that way in Amadeus too. So, are you going to, Martin?

Thank to you so much, rfwilmut!