Normalization question

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

PrarthnaNarula

Normalization question

Post by PrarthnaNarula »

I have a new issue that maybe I can resolve through the forum: when I try to normalize, I can only do it in terms of negative numbers. When I click on normalization, it shows -10 in the setting and when I try to use something other than a negative number, it tells me I cannot normalize to more than 100%. I feel like abandoning my Mac and going off to use Adobe Audition or at least keep the Mac and start using Pro Tools. At least I might find answers to my questions.Is that right?
https://docsbay.net/audio-normalization

ioannis

Post by ioannis »

Hmm, I think you didn't understand completely how normalization works. The linked document you've added explains it fine, already on the first page.

Also in Amadeus the setting is always less or equal to 0db. It's a negative scale and what you set is the target level. I haven't seen any audio software doing it differently 8-)
Up to zero DBFS (db full scale) is the loudest you can get, but it's not wise to use this value, because it mostly almost "destroys" the sound (lots of clipping etc).
You can easily experiment with different settings, e.g. start with -8 and then try -6 etc until it sounds right to you. In between just com-Z to return to the previous value etc. if you like.

(The whole thing doesn't have to do with the type of computer you use, or Amadeus. I think you confuse the Normalization with Amplification). If you give the "Amplify..." command then you can give it positive (and negative values).

Hope this helps...