Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

high memory use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
egg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: high memory use Reply with quote

After having the good fortune to test Audition, iZotrope RX7, & TwistedWave I am happy to say, for my modest needs (vinyl ripping and I have tin ears) AP is perfectly fine. But I am seeing something of note.

AP uses more, sometimes much much more, RAM than the others. Just opening a 1.5 GB file ActivityMonitor sees: Memory 1.13 GB, RealMemory 1.08, Private 1.02, Shared 176.6 MB. That's just opening the file. The other apps, after having each do a bunch of stuff with the file, don't come close.

Anyone else see similar? Normal?

Thanks for any insights.

2016 2.9 GHz, i7 15" MacBook Pro / TouchBar
16 GB Ram
macOS 10.14.5
Martin Hairer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: high memory use Reply with quote

Quote:
AP uses more, sometimes much much more, RAM than the others. Just opening a 1.5 GB file ActivityMonitor sees: Memory 1.13 GB, RealMemory 1.08, Private 1.02, Shared 176.6 MB. That's just opening the file. The other apps, after having each do a bunch of stuff with the file, don't come close.

By default, Amadeus tries to load as much as possible (but at most 1GB) of the file into RAM, which increases the responsiveness of the program. Since you have 16GB of RAM available, I don't see much downside of making use of it. If you prefer to make sure that Amadeus has a smaller memory footprint, you can adjust this in the advanced preferences: just decrease the maximal RAM usage to something lower like 64MB for example. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/
Raymond Foret Jr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: high memory use Reply with quote

As for me, I only have 4GB RAM on this here obsolete 2009 Mac book pro. Would your suggestion help me?
Sent from the first computer with built-in screen reader access for the blind:Sincerely,The constantly barefooted Ray

Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, at 3:38 PM, Martin Hairer <martin@hairersoft.com (martin@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Quote:
AP uses more, sometimes much much more, RAM than the others. Just opening a 1.5 GB file ActivityMonitor sees: Memory 1.13 GB, RealMemory 1.08, Private 1.02, Shared 176.6 MB. That's just opening the file. The other apps, after having each do a bunch of stuff with the file, don't come close.Anyone else see similar? Normal?
By default, Amadeus tries to load as much as possible (but at most 1GB) of the file into RAM, which increases the responsiveness of the program. Since you have 16GB of RAM available, I don't see much downside of making use of it. If you prefer to make sure that Amadeus has a smaller memory footprint, you can adjust this in the advanced preferences: just decrease the maximal RAM usage to something lower like 64MB for example. Regards,Martin--HairerSofthttp://www.hairersoft.com/

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: high memory use Reply with quote

Quote:
As for me, I only have 4GB RAM on this here obsolete 2009 Mac book pro. Would your suggestion help me?

Yes, it may be worth lowering AP's memory footprint in that case. Best,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
egg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: high memory use Reply with quote

Martin Hairer wrote:
Quote:

By default, Amadeus tries to load as much as possible (but at most 1GB) of the file into RAM, which increases the responsiveness of the program. Since you have 16GB of RAM available, I don't see much downside of making use of it. If you prefer to make sure that Amadeus has a smaller memory footprint, you can adjust this in the advanced preferences: just decrease the maximal RAM usage to something lower like 64MB for example. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Makes perfect sense. I was pretty sure it wasn't a real problem.

Much thanks, Martin!
Raymond Foret Jr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: high memory use Reply with quote

What is the lowest setting you would suggest for a computer who’s total RAM is 4GB?
Sent from the first computer with built-in screen reader access for the blind:Sincerely,The constantly barefooted Ray

Quote:
On Jul 7, 2019, at 5:06 PM, Martin Hairer <martin@hairersoft.com (martin@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it may be worth lowering AP's memory footprint in that case. Best,Martin--HairerSofthttp://www.hairersoft.com/

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: high memory use Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the lowest setting you would suggest for a computer who’s total RAM is 4GB?

I would try either 64MB or 128MB. Best,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: