Amadeus Pro inconsistencies with Apple Lossless

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

aubreyapple

Post by aubreyapple »

Oddly I just tested and regardless of whether I select 32 bit or 16 bit, the files size is identical. Furthermore, the program mediainfo (in MacPorts) reports the bit depth is 32 bits in both cases. Yet another is that when I go to settings, it always defaults to 32 bits. I am wondering if the setting is being ignored? (All if this under 'Save Selection As...')

On the other hand, if I 'Split According to Markers...', it does not ignore the bit setting and mediainfo reports 16bit for 16 bits and 32 bits for 32 bits. However, the preference is not preserved here either. (This is for version 2.5.3).

Now in version 2.6 (an update from Martin, not the release), it is even stranger. Save Selection As... results in not a Lossless file but an AAC LC file in both 16 and 32 bit modes. (Yes, Apple Lossless was selected.)

In Split According to Markers... it correctly does 16 or 32 bits but the preference is not preserved.

It is also interesting that the 32bit m4a is nearly 4x the size of the 16bit one.

It seems that if I really want Apple Lossless in Save Selection As... I need to revert to 2.5.3 as 2.6 does not generate Apple Lossless there.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Now in version 2.6 (an update from Martin, not the release), it is even stranger. Save Selection As... results in not a Lossless file but an AAC LC file in both 16 and 32 bit modes. (Yes, Apple Lossless was selected.)
I am unable to reproduce this. I followed these steps with version 2.6 (the one at <http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip> which includes a couple of bug fixes, but should be identical to the official version 2.6 as far as this is concerned):

1. Open an Mp3 file.
2. Select "Save As...", choose "m4a", then go to "Options" and select Apple Lossless with 16bit preserved
3. Hit OK and run mediainfo on the resulting file. Output file is 30.7MB and mediainfo reports the audio stream to be ALAC with 16 bits preserved.
4. Select "Save As..." again, this time with 32bit preserved.
5. The resulting file is 82MB and mediainfo reports the audio stream to be ALAC with 32 bits preserved.

I also tried the same with the "iPhone Movie" format instead of m4a with the same result.

This appears to be correct behaviour. The fact that the 32 bit file is more than twice the size of the 16 bit file indicates that the 16 remaining bit essentially contain noise which cannot be compressed. (In particular, this is a hint that preserving 32 bit will not result in any increase in quality whatsoever for this file.)

If you can consistently reproduce a different behaviour, please let me know how.
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

aubreyapple

Post by aubreyapple »

Notice it is 'Save Selection As...' not 'Save As' which has the problem in 2.6.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Got it, thanks! Yes, I can reproduce the problem now, I'll report back when I found a fix. Best,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

HI, could you please give the version at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip

a try? I believe that this fixes the problem with settings not being taken into account. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

PrarthnaNarula

Post by PrarthnaNarula »

he same thing happened to me, also using Audio Hijack. The mp4 file could be selected for opening in Amadeus Pro, but there was nothing in the sound channels. I could open and play the file in iTunes, Quicktime, and VLC. In iTunes, I converted to mp3 and then I could open in Amadeus Pro. If I recorded as an mp3 in Audio Hijack, the file opened properly in Amadeus Pro. I am using version 2.2.2.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Please update to the latest version (2.6.1), I believe that this has been fixed. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

pretsky

Re: Amadeus Pro inconsistencies with Apple Lossless

Post by pretsky »

I am having a similar problem.
I opened up and .m4a file, made some edits, and simply saved it as an Apple Lossless 16 bit file and the file size has basically doubled.
I'm using version 2.8.4.

Thanks.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

What was the original codec used? If the file was an AAC file to start with, this would explain what you see.

pretsky

Post by pretsky »

It was recorded from a record to a cd using a cd recording appliance.
Then it was imported to iTunes as "Apple Lossless" codec.
I brought them into Amadeus Pro to fix pops/cracks and when I saved them they doubled in size.

Hope that helps understand the history of the files.

Thanks.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Would you be able to email me a link to one of these files? (Before it has doubled in size.)

pretsky

Post by pretsky »

Sure. It's a 22mb file.
Let me know the best way to get it to you.

Thanks.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Just send me a WeTransfer / Dropbox / iCloud link to martin@hairersoft.com.

pretsky

Post by pretsky »

Ok - you should have an email with a link.
Let me know if you have a problem.

Thanks