Batch insertion of metadata - modified file name as Title

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Having recently acquired a huge collection of old radio broadcasts, and wishing to edit them all with metadata, I've upgraded from Lite to Pro so as to use the Batch processing facility.

I can understand how to insert each file name into the Metadata Title field, but I'd be even happier if I could delete the first 3 characters (actually the number of the recording) when doing so. For example, I'd like the file "11 Under Fire.mp3" to have "Under Fire" in it's Title field.

I'm probably looking in all the wrong places, but can't seem to find out how to do this. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Dave.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi Dave, the current version doesn't provide a mechanism to do this. However, the version at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip

does have one. Check the "Filter Files" checkbox in the batch processor and enter

[0-9]* (.*)

into the corresponding text field. This is a regular expression matching the pattern "arbitrary number of digits, followed by a space, followed by arbitrary characters" and storing the "arbitrary" characters into a register. Then, enter

\1

into the metadata title field, which accesses the value stored in the first register.
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks a lot for your response Martin, and thanks for the updated version of 'Pro.

I still haven't figured it out though :oops: I obviously need to adjust the expression in some way but I'm not smart enough to figure out how.

The file I'm testing it on is called: 11 Under fire.mp3
and it's folder is: Dad's Army orig

If I copy the expression into the Filter Files text field and put \1 into the metadata title field, my file ends up with a metadata title of: Army orig/11 Under Fire

All I want in the title is: Under Fire

Cheers, Dave.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Looks like there was a stupid bug there, sorry. I just updated the version at that link, hopefully it does the trick now. Best,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Excellent, that's done the job. :D

Thanks again for your ready assistance Martin, it's much appreciated.

Regards, Dave.

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Not trying to be over critical, but I've found another bug in the above facility. When processing a bunch of files, the naming mechanism sometimes gets ahead of the rest of the procedure and uses the name of the next file in the queue.

I can live with it. I just drop the files in one by one so they don't trip over each other, so it's no big deal. I just thought you'd like to know :)

Cheers, Dave.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Thanks a lot! This was a bug that would be triggered when processing multiple files simultaneously. I've updated the version at the same link, let's hope that this was the last glitch ;-) Best,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

A pleasure Martin.

I'm afraid I have yet another question to pester you with though: Many of my files have stuff in some metadata fields that I'd rather delete, such as irrelevant Artist description or a random Track number.

In most cases, when batch processing, I can replace the unwanted text with a space, but this doesn't work where there is text in the Comments field.

Is there a proper method of emptying the Comments field during Batch processing?

Thanks again, Dave.

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I guess that's a tough one then, eh Martin?

Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Cheers, Dave.