Export Markers: CUE File vs Marker Window Location

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

kboasso

Export Markers: CUE File vs Marker Window Location

Post by kboasso »

I'm certain the answer is fairly easy, but I can't figure it out...

In short: The "Export Markers..." command generates a CUE text file that includes markers' Index numbers, but these numbers do not match the markers' "Location" that is shown in Amadeus' "Selection Start" & "...End" location boxes or in the "Marker" window; the fraction-of-a-second numbers are off. I need to know how to convert the CUE indices into proper locations that include micro-seconds.

Detail:

I'm creating a SRT file (movie subtitles).

I've imported the film's audio into Amadeus Pro (File>Open...) and am indexing the beginnings & ends of spoken lines using the "Mark Selection" function (Selection>Mark Selection).

When I view &/or edit these indexed markers (Windows>Markers), the Locations are displayed as MM'SS"XXX, where "MM" = minutes, "SS" = seconds, and "XXX" = microseconds; this is the appropriate format for SRT files.

Using Amadeus' "Export Markers..." function (File>Export Markers...), I generate a CUE text file that displays a list of the markers with the index shown as MM:SS:YY, where (I presume) "MM" = minutes, "SS" = seconds, and "YY" is always a number that is significantly smaller than the "XXX" microseconds displayed in the Location field in the Marker window (described above). The CUE text file also includes a REM Offset number that is an integer followed by a decimal point with a six-digit fraction.

I'm certain that there's a relationship between the CUE fractions and the microseconds included in the location numbers, and I suspect it may have something to do with the REM Offset number. If I merely add the CUE's REM Offset to the index, I still don't come back to the location's microseconds. Can anyone help me with the conversion?

Thanks!

kpb

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Re: Export Markers: CUE File vs Marker Window Location

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, the time format for cue files is MM:SS:FF where FF denotes "frames" (1/75 of a second), see the relevant Wikipedia page. Amadeus does then use the "REM Offset" fields which are officially ignored by the format to add an extra offset in milliseconds.

kboasso

Post by kboasso »

Martin / All...

Thank you very much for the explanation & clarification. I now understand that difference between Amadeus Pro's "location" formatting (including milliseconds vs microseconds; very sorry about that) and the CUE files' "index" formatting (including the use of frames at 1/75 of a second (or 75 fps, I imagine)). I've read the Wiki article and done some additional searches; I'm still not sure how I might use the REM Offset.

I could still use some help converting. Here's an example; perhaps someone can help me with my math...

I've got a marker location at 07'07"746. If I understand correctly, that's at 7min, 7sec, 746millisec or 07:07.746.

My CUE index shows this marker at 07:07:55 with a REM Offset of 12.895833. If I understand correctly, that means the marker is at 7min, 7sec and 55 frames (with each frame elapsing at 1/75th of a second or 0.013 milliseconds).

So, to convert from CUE index to marker location, I need to multiply the frame count by 0.013 to convert to milliseconds. In my example, this gives me 07'07"715.

The difference in recorded vs calculated milliseconds (.746 - .715 = .031) is smaller than minimal, but because I can't get the two numbers to agree makes me concerned I'm doing something wrong. I suspect the answer is in the REM Offset, but I'm not sure how.

In creating the SRT (subtitles) file, I'm marking the beginning & end of each spoken line. Then, I'll "Export Markers..." to the CUE file, which then can be imported into a template that will convert the Amadeus Pro data into the proper SRT format. That SRT file will be embedded into the source video file. For this reason, I'm trying to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks for any assistance!

kpb

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

The reason are rounding errors in your calculation: 55 frames are 55/75 = 0.7333333 seconds, or 733.3 milliseconds. Add the offset of 12.9 and you get 746.2 which is the correct answer.

kboasso

Post by kboasso »

SWEET!!!!

Thank you very much, Martin! I KNEW you'd have the complete & correct answer.

kpb