Combine effects for repeated tasks

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Cary W

Post by Cary W »

Is there a way to create a shortcut/preset that combines several effects into one action? i have numerous audio segments where I need to:
1. Normalize RMS 25%
2. Apply preset EQ
3. Normalize to -1.5 db

Selecting these actions from the menu every time is time consuming and seems like it should be unnecessary.

Raymond Foret Jr

Post by Raymond Foret Jr »

It is unnecessary. You can create a batch file in to which you can put all the actions you listed above and save this file so that every time you need it, it’s there.

Sent from the only computer with built-in screen reader access for the blind:

Sincerely,

The constantly barefooted Ray
On May 3, 2018, at 3:56 AM, Cary W <forum2mail@hairersoft.com> wrote:

Is there a way to create a shortcut/preset that combines several effects into one action? i have numerous audio segments where I need to:
1. Normalize RMS 25%
2. Apply preset EQ
3. Normalize to -1.5 db

Selecting these actions from the menu every time is time consuming and seems like it should be unnecessary.

Cary W

Post by Cary W »

Thanks for the info. However, I need to apply these actions to various segments WITHIN a file, not to the whole file itself. That is, I have music separated by spoken segments. I want to apply the EQ, etc., to the voice parts only. Is there a way to do this?

Raymond Foret Jr

Post by Raymond Foret Jr »

Yes there actually is. You need to use the favorites effects rack in order to do this. I have work flows set up so that I can run multiple passes of the apple parimetric equalizer over a file or part of the file and this is how I do it.

1. First, set your work flow by dropping effects from the primary table on the left in to the table on the right. Note that you can drag and drop these effects anywhere you want to have them and in the order you wish.

2. Go through it and make sure everything is set up exactly the way you want. Note that if you scrole to an effect in the table on the right and press the button just to the left, you can enter the settings for a given effect and tailer it so that it will come out exactly the way you need it to.

3. Now, once you’ve done this to all of the effects you’ve selected, you now need to focus back on the right side table and select all the items there. Name and save this work flow. It will now be part of the effects rack.

4. Now, focus back on the file you want to manipulate. Select that portion of the file you want to be effected in the standard way.

5. Now, open the effects menu, and from there, select the audio effects and from there, the audio units rack.

6. Now, look for the work flow you just put together and saved. Click on it. You will notice that here, you can preview and change individual aspects of the flow to your hearts content. Note also that the preview will let you hear exactly how the entire stack of effects in the flow is going to change your file.

7. Lastly, press the apply button. Note that there seems to be no progress bar, but, don’t let that fool you. When the work flow is done, the window for it will close and you’re back in your file.

HTH.

Sent from the only computer with built-in screen reader access for the blind:

Sincerely,

The constantly barefooted Ray
On May 3, 2018, at 7:07 PM, Cary W <forum2mail@hairersoft.com> wrote:

Thanks for the info. However, I need to apply these actions to various segments WITHIN a file, not to the whole file itself. That is, I have music separated by spoken segments. I want to apply the EQ, etc., to the voice parts only. Is there a way to do this?

Cary W

Not quite there yet

Post by Cary W »

Thanks for you detailed reply. What I'm seeing is a little different than you describe. In Mac version 2.4.4 I have an Actions window with "last performed actions" on top and "favorites" on the bottom. In your #2 below I don't see "a button just to the left" to enter settings for a given effect. I can't find a way to aggregate my favorites — which is comprised of four actions — into one Effect. There is no way I can see to save and name this workflow as you suggest.

It's not a huge deal since I can apply the four actions in sequence fairly quickly, but having them grouped together would be nice.
[/img]

Cary W

Post by Cary W »

Since I posted this question 2 years ago I still have not found a satisfactory answer.

I am a radio producer of a standard music and talk show. I need to be able to apply a number of actions to my voice breaks: three kinds of EQ, compression, normalization, etc. I have my list of favorite actions but it gets tiresome having to click five or more times in sequence for each selection. It seems like there should be a way to do all this with one click, a la the Batch Processor — but for a given selection within a file, rather than multiple files.

I am using Amadeus Pro 2.8. (The detailed description that Ray Foret gave doesn't conform to anything I'm able to see.)

Any clues?

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

Audio Units Rack

Jim EdgarVO: JimEdgarVoices.com | @jimedgarvoices | Source-Connect - jimedgarvoices

For audio/studio help: JustAskJimVO.studio | Schedule a session

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 3:32 PM Cary W <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Since I posted this question 2 years ago I still have not found a satisfactory answer.

I am a radio producer of a standard music and talk show. I need to be able to apply a number of actions to my voice breaks: three kinds of EQ, compression, normalization, etc. I have my list of favorite actions but it gets tiresome having to click five or more times in sequence for each selection. It seems like there should be a way to do all this with one click, a la the Batch Processor — but for a given selection within a file, rather than multiple files.

I am using Amadeus Pro 2.8. (The detailed description that Ray Foret gave doesn't conform to anything I'm able to see.)

Any clues?

Cary W

Post by Cary W »

Was that supposed to be helpful? Or just an advertisement?

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

That was supposed to be helpful. 
"Audio Units Rack" is a core function in Amadeus Pro. 
It's the process by which you combine multiple AU Effects into a single step. 
You could then automate that tool with a keyboard equivalent at the Apple System level.All of which is described in greater detail in the documentation.

To get started:

Open Amadeus Pro
Open an audio file
In the menus for Amadeus Pro, go to EFFECTS> Audio Units> Audio Units Rack...
At that point you can combine any number (well, I've never reached a max limit - perhaps someone has...) of AU effects in the order or your choosing. 
I find creating the PRESETS first in each EFFECT to be helpful.

Best of luck!

- Jim
Jim EdgarVO: JimEdgarVoices.com | @jimedgarvoices | Source-Connect - jimedgarvoices

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:35 AM Cary W <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Was that supposed to be helpful? Or just an advertisement?

Cary W

Post by Cary W »

Ahh, OK now I understand. Thanks. I was searching the docs for "combine actions" or something similar and never saw this.

It appears that this function only applies to third-party effects, not the ones built-in to Amadeus. Fer instance, what I wanted to combine was:

10-band Equalizer
5-band Equalizer
3-band Equalizer
Audio Unit AUParametric EQ
Normalize RMS power to 25%
Normailze amplitude to 0.0 db

So all I could actually use would be the Parametric EQ. But I do have the Apple AU suite that includes a 31-band graphic EQ so I'll try playing with that and maybe I can get all the graphic EQ in one pass. Since I'm now working at home with a makeshift studio in my basement, I'm trying to warm my voice up a bit so it sounds more like the way it does with the $$$ mic at the radio station. OTOH, I just got an email from one of my regular listeners and he said he couldn't hear any difference — and this was a show I recorded with a crappier mic than the one I'm using now.

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

Sorry for the double-send - didn't realize that the attachment would trigger moderation.Same as before, but no screen shot for the Graphic EQ Band option
--------
All the Apple AU's are stock plug-ins which come with any system. AU = Audio Units, an apple plug-in standard (others are VST, AAX)

You could use the AU Graphic Equalizer if you prefer that type of interface. All the Amadeus "X-band Equalizers" are Graphic EQ's. 

You could do multiple passes with different settings to mimic your current chain with AU Graphic (there are both 31 band and 10 band options in the dropdown on the lower left of the plug-in). 

Honestly, I think you are likely overprocessing if you have to do 4 EQ passes - multiple EQ passes simply combine. You can generally come up with a single setting to achieve the desired result. There may be something specific you are trying to fix... and of course, I haven't actually heard your source material. I might do a second "surgical" cut in addition to my standard EQ, but suspect yours could be combined.

There is no functional difference between the various stock EQ's/Filters - they all do the same thing. A "graphic EQ" just has a fixed frequency and width.  Parametric style EQ's let you adjust both frequency and width.

You might a look at the TDR Nova - it's a free AU EQ (with some dynamic controls as well).  It's much easier to get settings correct as the interface renders larger to screen.
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
I'd also take advantage of the free download for Ozone 9 through Sweetwater.  That has a really nice EQ in the plug-in (also a Limiter - which might be helpful for targeting specific delivery RMS, but you can turn that off)
https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/ozone-elements/ 

I wouldn't rely upon listeners to hear the difference - you never know what they are using for playback. You are welcome to send me a couple short samples if you would like some feedback. 

- Jim

Jim Edgar

415-754-8546
VO: JimEdgarVoices.com | @jimedgarvoices | Source-Connect - jimedgarvoices

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Dear Cary,
10-band Equalizer
5-band Equalizer
3-band Equalizer
Anything you can do by applying the first four one after the other you should indeed be able to achieve by a single appropriate setting of Apple's 31-band AUGraphicEQ. Regarding normalisation, repeated applications with different settings are equivalent to simply applying the last setting, unless you cause clipping in between, which is something you'll want to avoid.

If you do find that normalising RMS power and then amplitude gives you a different result from just normalising amplitude, then you'll instead want to apply a compressor like AUDynamicsProcessor or AUMiltibandCompressor to iron out large amplitude peaks, followed by amplitude normalisation. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

All the Apple AU's are stock plug-ins which come with any system. AU = Audio Units, an apple plug-in standard (others are VST, AAX)

You could use the AU Graphic Equalizer if you prefer that type of interface. All the Amadeus "X-band Equalizers" are Graphic EQ's. 

You could do multiple passes with different settings to mimic your current chain with AU Graphic (there are both 31 band and 10 band options in the dropdown on the lower left of the plug-in - see attached). 

Honestly, I think you are likely overprocessing if you have to do 4 EQ passes - multiple EQ passes simply combine. You can generally come up with a single setting to achieve the desired result. There may be something specific you are trying to fix... and of course, I haven't actually heard your source material. I might do a second "surgical" cut in addition to my standard EQ, but suspect yours could be combined.

There is no functional difference between the various stock EQ's/Filters - they all do the same thing. A "graphic EQ" just has a fixed frequency and width.  Parametric style EQ's let you adjust both frequency and width.

You might a look at the TDR Nova - it's a free AU EQ (with some dynamic controls as well).  It's much easier to get settings correct as the interface renders larger to screen.
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
I'd also take advantage of the free download for Ozone 9 through Sweetwater.  That has a really nice EQ in the plug-in (also a Limiter - which might be helpful for targeting specific delivery RMS, but you can turn that off)
https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/ozone-elements/ 

I wouldn't rely upon listeners to hear the difference - you never know what they are using for playback. You are welcome to send me a couple short samples if you would like some feedback. 

- Jim

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 10:10 AM Cary W <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Ahh, OK now I understand. Thanks. I was searching the docs for "combine actions" or something similar and never saw this.

It appears that this function only applies to third-party effects, not the ones built-in to Amadeus. Fer instance, what I wanted to combine was:

10-band Equalizer
5-band Equalizer
3-band Equalizer

So all I could actually use would be the Parametric EQ. But I do have the Apple AU suite that includes a 31-band graphic EQ so I'll try playing with that and maybe I can get all the graphic EQ in one pass. Since I'm now working at home with a makeshift studio in my basement, I'm trying to warm my voice up a bit so it sounds more like the way it does with the $$$ mic at the radio station. OTOH, I just got an email from one of my regular listeners and he said he couldn't hear any difference — and this was a show I recorded with a crappier mic than the one I'm using now.

Cary W

Post by Cary W »

Thank you, Jim, for the tips and suggestions. Alas, I installed Izotope Ozone but every time I try to open it it causes Amadeus to crash. No patience to deal with that right now, but I'll report it to them. TDR Nova doesn't cause crashes but it doesn't bring up a window where I can do anything either. So, to get my current project done, I will go with the Apple 31-band Graphic EQ.

Once I get this out of the way I'll send you some snippets.

Stay safe and well.

Cary