No bass when recording

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Elbruto

No bass when recording

Post by Elbruto »

Hi all, hoping someone can help me as I'm having a nightmare trying to record a decent quality mix into Amadeus 2. My recording levels seem fine and everything looks good, however my mixes are sounding extremely tinny and have pretty much no bass at all. I have tried burning mixes to CD to listen on an external CD player, however there seems to be no bass at all and the music that i am recording is very bass heavy.

I am using 2 * Technics 1210 mk3's, A Behringer mixer and a Macbook. I am connecting the Behringer mixer from 'Booth out' to line in on the mac using a phono to headphone jack lead (The lead I am using also has the yellow video out connection which is obviously not plugged in - maybe this is my problem?!?!, however thought i would check before buying a new lead. I have tried playing around with effects and eq after recording and this is not really making much of a difference. If anyone can offer any guidance as to what I can do to generate a high quality sound with bass, please do let me know and of course if it is likely to be a case of the led I am using, it wuld be great if you could let me know.

:)

Sonic Purity

Re: No bass when recording

Post by Sonic Purity »

Elbruto wrote:Hi all, hoping someone can help me as I'm having a nightmare trying to record a decent quality mix into Amadeus 2. My recording levels seem fine and everything looks good, however my mixes are sounding extremely tinny and have pretty much no bass at all. I have tried burning mixes to CD to listen on an external CD player, however there seems to be no bass at all and the music that i am recording is very bass heavy.

I am using 2 * Technics 1210 mk3's, A Behringer mixer and a Macbook. I am connecting the Behringer mixer from 'Booth out' to line in on the mac using a phono to headphone jack lead (The lead I am using also has the yellow video out connection which is obviously not plugged in - maybe this is my problem?!?!, however thought i would check before buying a new lead. I have tried playing around with effects and eq after recording and this is not really making much of a difference. If anyone can offer any guidance as to what I can do to generate a high quality sound with bass, please do let me know and of course if it is likely to be a case of the led I am using, it wuld be great if you could let me know.

:)
This sounds like a classic case of no RIAA equalization during the digitization process. Does the Behringer mixer have dedicated phono inputs with the proper EQ? If there is any way to engage/disengage this EQ on the Behringer, is it engaged?

To test this theory: Take one of the “tinny” mix files. Open it back up in Amadeus II. Select All. Go to Effects > Filters > RIAA Reproduction and select it. Listen to the results. If they are now OK, the lack of applying intrinsic RIAA equalization during playback of the vinyl is the problem.

Note also that some D.J. club mixers intentionally roll off a bit of the bass to avoid acoustic feedback in live performance with turntables (i vaguely recall it deviating from RIAA/IEC starting around 100 Hz... it has been years since i looked at this). They're not the best for digitization. I instead use the phono section of a standard home audio receiver, which has a very accurate RIAA reproduction curve with no bass roll off deviation.

I doubt the loss of bass is the audio cable. The only audio cables i have seen that do any "processing" are attenuator cables, which would drop the levels yet do so equally across the frequency spectrum. The only sure test would be a different cable. Not using the yellow connection should have no effect.
))Sonic((

Elbruto

Post by Elbruto »

Hi Sonic Purity - Than ks a lot for your response.

The Behringer does indeed have a dedicated phono inputs for each turntable with controls for hi's/mids/lows that are turned on.

I have tried activating RIAA reproduction on a recorded file and this does have an effect although it distorts quick badly. I have since trieed recording into Ableton live and this seems to pick up the bass although gives a very poor quality and quiet recording. The only thing i can think of is that there is potentially an issue with the mixer or the lead.