How to set recording bitrate?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Guntis

Post by Guntis »

Sorry, one more question. I cannot find in Help how I can change or set other bitrate than 16 bits. By default it's 16 bits. I record using Apogee Duet, and it's supposed to give 24 bit stream, but the result in Amadeus is 16 bit AIFF file. In File menu there is "New Sound…" command, and … in the end means that there will be further dialog, but there is none. I get new window, and there when I click on Infos button, I get only information that it's 16 bits, no way to change anything.
PC is consumer stuff for me. Like a coffee machine - it does it’s job. But Mac - Mac is love, it’s like a Porsche - style, design and feeling of well spent money.

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

Try "Record to new file" there you get a dialog.
There are different ways to start Recording. They serve different purposes.

And to change an existing sound click the "16 Bit/ 44.1 kHz" in the lower left corner.

The documentation is clearly not clear enough.

regards
Sorry, one more question. I cannot find in Help how I can change or set other bitrate than 16 bits. By default it's 16 bits. I record using Apogee Duet, and it's supposed to give 24 bit stream, but the result in Amadeus is 16 bit AIFF file. In File menu there is "New SoundÖ" command, and Ö in the end means that there will be further dialog, but there is none. I get new window, and there when I click on Infos button, I get only information that it's 16 bits, no way to change anything.

------------------------
PC is consumer stuff for me. Like a coffee machine - it does itís job. But Mac - Mac is love, itís like a Porsche - style, design and feeling of well spent money.
--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

Guntis

Re: How to set recording bitrate?

Post by Guntis »

GerardBik wrote:And to change an existing sound click the "16 Bit/ 44.1 kHz" in the lower left corner.
My oh my… It would never come into my mind to click on the status bar to change bitrate! There's nothing to suggest that this field is clickable! I looked at it as info field. The more I use Amadeus, the more I'm confused with non-standard approaches and really weak documentation.

To insert silence (usually insert commands are found in the Edit menu) I have to "generate" silence from the Effects menu.
To insert marker during recording I have to ask how-to to the developer, because this info is top secret…
To change bitrate I have to click on what looks like ordinary status info... Why not add triangle there to make it look like drop-down menu? Or add little icon in front of the info to suggest that it is a button?
PC is consumer stuff for me. Like a coffee machine - it does it’s job. But Mac - Mac is love, it’s like a Porsche - style, design and feeling of well spent money.

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

GerardBik wrote:And to change an existing sound click the "16 Bit/ 44.1 kHz" in the lower left corner.
My oh myÖ It would never come into my mind to click on the status bar to change bitrate! There's nothing to suggest that this field is clickable! I looked at it as info field. The more I use Amadeus, the more I'm confused with non-standard approaches and really weak documentation.

To insert silence (usually insert commands are found in the Edit menu) I have to "generate" silence from the Effects menu.
To insert marker during recording I have to ask how-to to the developer, because this info is top secretÖ
To change bitrate I have to click on what looks like ordinary status info... Why not add triangle there to make it look like drop-down menu? Or add little icon in front of the info to suggest that it is a button?

------------------------
PC is consumer stuff for me. Like a coffee machine - it does itís job. But Mac - Mac is love, itís like a Porsche - style, design and feeling of well spent money.
You are right about the documentation. There is a lot to improve.

Amadeus is very much a work in progress. Long time users like me have watched it develop, even contributed ideas and seen them implemented.

The documentation is another matter. I haven't needed it for some time. So your observations are valuable.
Maybe someone should write "Amadeus for dummies" to give new users an idea where to start.

regards

--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Remember, just because the last program did it way A, it doesn't make it
any more logical. I have heard these comments for more than 25 years in
looking at programs. I wouldn't consider edit any more (or less) logical
than the effects menu for inserting things. The insert markers for
recording is something that _really_ should go into the keystrokes list,
but then, everyone knows that one?!

But, clearly _someone_ should do a summary of the issues. It needs to be
a new user because all of us old users. Martin would much rather modify
the program to make it work better than write documentation (what
programmer wouldn't?)

Chuck

Guntis wrote:
My oh my… It would never come into my mind to click on the status bar to change bitrate! There's nothing to suggest that this field is clickable! I looked at it as info field. The more I use Amadeus, the more I'm confused with non-standard approaches and really weak documentation.

To insert marker during recording I have to ask how-to to the developer, because this info is top secret…

------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

Guntis

Re: How to set recording bitrate?

Post by Guntis »

GerardBik wrote:The documentation is another matter. I haven't needed it for some time. So your observations are valuable.
Maybe someone should write "Amadeus for dummies" to give new users an idea where to start.
Maybe author could could take some youngster, sit him at the computer, open his application and ask him/her to do elementary things, and whatch where he/she struggles, and improve there? I was mildly shocked to read about bitrates in AIFF and mp3 files, and finding no info how to set bitrate for recording! The same about markers - how to edit files sing markers, but no info how to insert markers during recording. Or how to insert silence. I don't need long chapters of info, it's sufficient to mention how-to in 1 sentence, but it needs to be there. When program is written, author could just drop a note about its features and then insert short information in the Help file.

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Reminder -- as far as I know, Martin is a full-time
mathematician/physicist, a life outside Amadeus, etc. For $40, what do
you expect? Documentation is very expensive (and very boring).

Chuck

Guntis wrote:
GerardBik wrote:
The documentation is another matter. I haven't needed it for some time. So your observations are valuable.
Maybe author could could take some youngster, sit him at the computer, open his application and ask him/her to do elementary things, and whatch where he/she struggles, and improve there? I was mildly shocked to read about bitrates in AIFF and mp3 files, and finding no info how to set bitrate for recording! The same about markers - how to edit files sing markers, but no info how to insert markers during recording. Or how to insert silence. I don't need long chapters of info, it's sufficient to mention how-to in 1 sentence, but it needs to be there. When program is written, author could just drop a note about its features and then insert short information in the Help file.

------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

It would never come into my mind to click on the status bar to
change bitrate!
Well, you can also set it by selecting "Characteristics" in the
"Sound" menu. There's nothing hidden about that... Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

I was mildly shocked to read about bitrates in AIFF and mp3 files,
and finding no info how to set bitrate for recording!
You might be confused about the difference between bitrate and
sampling rate. The sampling rate corresponds to the number of pieces
of sound data (aka samples) stored for every second of sound. It would
typically be 44100 for a CD quality. This can be set in the recording
dialog and the manual is quite clear about it (page 15).

The bitrate of a sound file is a measure of how much space the sound
actually takes on your disk. A bitrate of 128kbps means that one
second of sound takes 128 kilobits ( = 16 kilobytes: divide by 8) of
your harddisk. So one minute would take 16 * 60 kilobytes, which is
about one megabyte. This depends on the algorithm that is being used
to compress the sound and therefore only makes sense at the point when
you actually compress the sound, not when you record it. This is
explained on page 10 on the manual. Page 13 explains how to select the
bitrate when saving a sound in the Mp3 format. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/