New Normalization question

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

AndyB

Post by AndyB »

No one answered my last question (although a bunch of people viewed it). I have a new issue that maybe I can resolve through the forum: when I try to normalize, I can only do it in terms of negative numbers. When I click on normalization, it shows -10 in the setting and when I try to use something other than a negative number, it tells me I cannot normalize to more than 100%. I feel like abandoning my Mac and going off to use Adobe Audition or at least keep the Mac and start using Pro Tools. At least I might find answers to my questions.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Simple answer to your question is:

There is a drop-down that has percent and dB. You are obviously have
the dB selected. For that 100% is 0 dB, anything less is negative dB
so if you want to normalize to 100% you set it to 0 dB or select the
drop down, swap it from dB to percent and then put in 100%. (myself I
use 99%).

Chuck

AndyB wrote:
No one answered my last question (although a bunch of people viewed it). I have a new issue that maybe I can resolve through the forum: when I try to normalize, I can only do it in terms of negative numbers. When I click on normalization, it shows -10 in the setting and when I try to use something other than a negative number, it tells me I cannot normalize to more than 100%. I feel like abandoning my Mac and going off to use Adobe Audition or at least keep the Mac and start using Pro Tools. At least I might answers to my questions.

Charles D. Jonah CDJonah@anl.gov
630-252-3471
Chemistry Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

In other words: Unless you know why you are doing this, any positive dB or percentage values above 100 will lead to digital distortion. (However, if you knew what you are doing, you likely wouldn't have asked in the first place... :) )

AndyB

Post by AndyB »

[quote="Lou Kash"]In other words: Unless you [i]know[/i] why you are doing this, any positive dB or percentage values above 100 will lead to digital distortion. (However, if you [i]knew[/i] what you are doing, you likely wouldn't have asked in the first place... :) )[/quote]

Someone took their obnoxious pills this morning. Thanks to everyone else.
I DID realize this exact thing, but only AFTER I sent the note to the forum.