color of markers pt2

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

anechoic

color of markers pt2

Post by anechoic »

never mind - I just discovered the 'modify markers' in the pull down menu! DOH!

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

color of markers pt2

Post by Martin Hairer »

changing the color of markers when there are too many to do by hand:
... Or use the "Selection -> Modify Markers" function ;-) Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

anechoic

Post by anechoic »

yes that jumped out at me just as I posted my last 'clever' workaround!
double DOH!
:oops:

Gerard Bik

color of markers pt2

Post by Gerard Bik »

yes that jumped out at me just as I posted my last 'clever' workaround!
double DOH!
[Embarassed]

The workaround was certainly clever.
You seem to get the hang of Amadeus.

--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

anechoic

Post by anechoic »

well having used Sound Designer II, Pro Tools, Cool Edit Pro, Peak, Audacity and now Amadeus Pro and having worked with some of these apps in film sound, game sound, audio software development and experimental music I can say that AP is a very good take on a serious audio editor.
(I still wish Cool Edit Pro had been ported to OS X! It was the best editor on any platform.)

AP is a bit confusing and not fully baked yet but with a few tucks and pulls it will hopefully knock Peak off the 'OS X editor of choice' pedestal.

we just need to keep submitting bugs and being squeaky wheels to ensure it gets there! :)

heaton

USB turntable & System Preferences

Post by heaton »

If all goes well, I expect to get a USB turntable tomorrow. I want to
use it to record and then edit LPs in Amadeus. When I plug the
turntable cable into a USB port, will it show up under Sound>Input in
System Preferences?
Does a USB turntable produce the "hum" that a traditional turntable
sometimes produces? Thanks. CP

anechoic

Post by anechoic »

any USB audio device should show up in your audio panel as an input device
one suggestion is to use SoundSource - a very useful and free utility for routing audio in and outs in OS X

http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/downloa ... Source.dmg

as for hum:
not having used a USB turntable I can't comment on this but typically the hum on an analog turntable is the result of a moving coil transducer i.e. the cartridge being physically difficult to shield with coax - if you look on most cartridges you'll see two small gauge wires traveling down the tone arm to the electronics underneath - and this is where the hum is picked up
because the stereo signal is unbalanced and not shielded at this point

but again not having used one I can't comment on whether the USB turntables are any more quiet than their analog counterparts

hope this helps!

Sonic Purity

Post by Sonic Purity »

anechoic wrote:as for hum:
not having used a USB turntable I can't comment on this but typically the hum on an analog turntable is the result of a moving coil transducer i.e. the cartridge being physically difficult to shield with coax - if you look on most cartridges you'll see two small gauge wires traveling down the tone arm to the electronics underneath - and this is where the hum is picked up
because the stereo signal is unbalanced and not shielded at this point

but again not having used one I can't comment on whether the USB turntables are any more quiet than their analog counterparts
That can be one cause. More commonly in my experience is the separate grounding wire (on turntables sold in North America and some other regions… at least some European turntables ground via a single DIN connector and tend not to have this issue) is not properly connected to whichever device has the analog preamp into which the (usually) RCA plugs are connected. Or, having a metal tonearm and headshell and a cartridge with a ground strap (e.g. Stanton, Pickering) intended for best shielding in a non-metallic headshell yet often forming a ground loop in a nice fully metallic headshell/arm system.

The tonearm wires are normally shielded inside a metal arm. The headshell wires do benefit from twisting together (hot and ground, separately for each channel), and in my experience are not a significant source of hum pickup when grounding is properly handled.

This scratches the surface… there are more subtleties and complexities.

I also do not have a USB turntable, yet my educated guess: Since the preamp and A/D are inside the turntable, the manufacturer should have no excuse for properly handling grounding and shielding, and i would expect no noticeable hum, unless there was a very strong magnetic field (one of those other “complexities”) nearby, directly coupling hum into a magnetic cartridge. Not much can be done by the turntable to solve that… eliminate (includes: moving very far away from the turntable) the strong external magnetic field source.

Thanks for the SoundSource tip, anechoic!
))Sonic((

anechoic

Post by anechoic »

Sonic Purity wrote: More commonly in my experience is the separate grounding wire is not properly connected to whichever device has the analog preamp into which the (usually) RCA plugs are connected.
agreed - but even on American turntables (at least circa 1980's) connecting the green ground wire to the back of the preamp or amp did little to completely eliminate hum although disconnecting it makes it much worse...
Sonic Purity wrote: Or, having a metal tonearm and headshell and a cartridge with a ground strap (e.g. Stanton, Pickering) intended for best shielding in a non-metallic headshell yet often forming a ground loop in a nice fully metallic headshell/arm system.
the ground strap must be found on the higher end and newer models? because I don't remember this strap being on my mid-80's Technics turntable...so maybe grounding design for analog turntables improved much after 1990?
Sonic Purity wrote: Thanks for the SoundSource tip, anechoic!
sure - it's an amazing little utility and I think 10.5 versions have individual faders in the pull down menu
:)

Sonic Purity

Post by Sonic Purity »

anechoic wrote:
Sonic Purity wrote: More commonly in my experience is the separate grounding wire is not properly connected to whichever device has the analog preamp into which the (usually) RCA plugs are connected.
agreed - but even on American turntables (at least circa 1980's) connecting the green ground wire to the back of the preamp or amp did little to completely eliminate hum although disconnecting it makes it much worse...
Um, well, i guess we have to agree to disagree. In the 1980s-mid 1990s i was working (professionally) in home audio repair and as a (volunteer) broadcast engineer doing mostly studio-side stuff at UC Berkeley’s FM station, where they had standard Technics SL 1500 MK II (later and i believe still the much better known SL 1200 MK IIs) high-ish end home/DJ turntables, with standard home connections. With a proper installation into a decent preamp and upstream equipment with a decent cartridge, most of the shop’s customer’s turntables and certainly the station’s turntables could be run at wide open volume/mixer gain with no hum, just hiss. This did not just happen and took care throughout the installation process (and absolutely required a decent preamp [section] and cartridge), yet at least with the better turntables was possible. Technics made so many of differing quality... most should have been able to go humless, though probably not all, due to limitations in some of the turntables themselves.
Sonic Purity wrote: Or, having a metal tonearm and headshell and a cartridge with a ground strap (e.g. Stanton, Pickering) intended for best shielding in a non-metallic headshell yet often forming a ground loop in a nice fully metallic headshell/arm system.
the ground strap must be found on the higher end and newer models? because I don't remember this strap being on my mid-80's Technics turntable...so maybe grounding design for analog turntables improved much after 1990?
Clarification: the ground strap was on some cartridges, not the headshell nor arm. I remember it mostly from Stanton and Pickering cartridges, which tended to have metal outer bodies which would act as hum magnets if not grounded. Since a lot of inexpensive headshells were plastic, they included a ground strap from the cartridge metal case to one of the channel's ground terminals to guarantee a ground. Leaving this strap in place in a properly-grounded (through the arm, usually) metal or conductive headshell leads to a ground loop and some residual hum, often (not always) in the channel with the strap more than the other channel.

I did not notice any significant improvements in the mid-fi turntables i saw between when i started and when i left the repair business (and the radio station)... just a few evolutionary things and bugfixes. The cartridge mounting and grounding for the standard 1/2" mount cartridges remained pretty much the same (well, other than DJ items like the Ortofon combo headshell/cartridge one-piece).
))Sonic((

anechoic

Post by anechoic »

you worked at KALX? interesting -- I was working at Orban in SF as an electronic technician '84-90 - around the same time you were at KALX...I also ran a record label called Silent Records - you might have heard of it working at KALX -- I even did some live shows there and was a guest from time to time

but most 'consumer grade' turntables and amps did not have the same loving care that KALX engineers put into achieving hum-free audio chains in their studio...at least mine didn't! ;)

Sonic Purity

Post by Sonic Purity »

anechoic wrote:you worked at KALX? interesting -- I was working at Orban in SF as an electronic technician '84-90 - around the same time you were at KALX...I also ran a record label called Silent Records - you might have heard of it working at KALX -- I even did some live shows there and was a guest from time to time.
I responded to most of this in a private message (i am apparently PM-challenged, lost a draft because i went away and came back to finish later, then had to rewrite the message, so it took awhile), since this seems to be far off topic for Amadeus.

For the public record, yes i did work at KALX, 1980-1995. In fact, my 'Net Name and HairerSoft forum name Sonic Purity started as my latter-day D.J. name (before that i used new Rat). Also had brief touchpoints with Orban. I can only name one Silent Record, yet it is a really good one: Two Hearts In Pain by Janet Armstrong... assuming that that is your Silent Records and not another label of the same name.

Struggling to keep this on-topic, in the last year or so when i digitized that song, i did the cleanup editing in Amadeus. :-)
))Sonic((