Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amadeus II + M-Audio mic driver = Mac bomb/crash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrasy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Amadeus II + M-Audio mic driver = Mac bomb/crash Reply with quote

On my two Macs, a PowerMac G5 and a Power Book G4, I just installed the "M-Audio Mobile Pre USB" driver for an M-Audio microphone. On the G5, when I try to use Amadeus II, my Mac bombs (that horrible gray screen of death). On the G4 notebook, there is no bomb.

On the G5, the mic/driver seem to work well with Amadeus Pro, but I'm using the trial version currently, so this isn't my permanent solution just yet.

Is this a known incompatibility with Amadeus II? Since the bomb occurs only on the G5, is the problem related to peripherals (Wacom tablet, etc)? Any ideas on how to get it to work? Or do have to choose between Amadeus II with no mic or Amadeus Pro with mic?

Last edited by syncrasy on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
pbuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Amadeus II + M-Audio mic driver = Mac bomb/crash Reply with quote

I have had crashing problems with my M-Audio Ozone for many weeks now. MArtin have you found the problem or solution? Have you received my crash reports? Could the problems be related?

pb
Sonic Purity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Amadeus II + M-Audio mic driver = Mac bomb/crash Reply with quote

syncrasy wrote:
Since the bomb occurs only on the G5, is the problem related to peripherals (Wacom tablet, etc)? Any ideas on how to get it to work?

OS X i assume (since you write of Amadeus Pro)? I'd want to at least try this in a clean testing account, and very likely from an alternative startup volume with no 3rd. party drivers (besides what ships with OS X) except this M-Audio driver. I'd also most definitely have all nonessential hardware disconnected from the system, at least for testing. With so many variables in a real-world personal computer system, it makes sense to minimize the variables when testing.

Do the crash logs have any revealing hints?

Quote:
Or do have to choose between Amadeus II with no mic or Amadeus Pro with mic?

I'm not fully comprehending why this is a choice: i keep both II and Pro on my OS 10.4.x systems, and alternate between them as it makes sense for me. They play nice together and can run at the same time when that makes sense with the workflow. If Amadeus Pro works in all ways, one can just use that, as many users do. I'm so used to II that i often still go there, and also i sometimes share work with OS 9 systems which can only run II, so just working in II can make sense in my particular situation... when II does what needs doing, without issues (most of the time).

Hoping things work out,
Martin Hairer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Amadeus II + M-Audio mic driver = Mac bomb/crash Reply with quote

Quote:
I just installed the "M-Audio Mobile Pre USB" driver for an M-Audio
microphone. Now, when I try to use Amadeus II, my Mac bombs (gray
screen of death). Not nice.

A kernel panic (gray screen of death) can only be caused by a piece of
code residing in the kernel. That would be either a driver or a kernel
extension, but not a user-space program like Amadeus II. My guess is
that the driver of the microphone is buggy and that by coincidence
Amadeus Pro calls into it in such a way that the bug isn't
triggered.... Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: