questions from Windows and audition user

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

toasterman

Post by toasterman »

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time Windows user recently switched to a Mac. I've been hunting for a Mac equivalent of Audition/Cool Edit, and Audacity is a bit basic/fiddly. I had a go with a trial of Adobe Soundbooth but it seems needlessly complicated (not to mention very expensive), considering how good Cooledit is. Got a recommendation for Amadeus so am giving it a try.

So far, some things better than Audition, some things not so easy.
Just a few queries....
1. Is there any way to record "what you hear" or "stereo mix" like on Windows? This isn't an Amadeus fault - I've no idea how to do this on a Mac, and it's a handy thing to be able to do, and thought you guys might know.
What I mostly use it for is playing something in iTunes that is copy protected, and recording it in something else (hence getting around the copy protection). I'm not stealing music - but I do a bit of community radio and I need to remove swear words from songs if there are any (seems commonplace at the moment).

2. When you do a "paste over" - is there any way to choose what volume it does this at? Sometimes I might record something dry, then use "mix paste" on Audition to put a bed/soundtrack underneath it, but I can't immediately see how to do this on Amadeus.
I guess I could finalize the speech and "paste over" the music, but I've no idea what volume it would come out at.
Maybe there's another way of doing this I haven't worked out yet?

3. When you add a stereo track, and you can move it left and right to line up with the other track - I'm fine with that. When it plays though, it only plays the one you have selected. Any way to get it to play all the tracks shown, in their positions, at once?

I should say I love the way I can zoom in/out while selecting. I've been crying out for that feature for a long time on other software. Also I like the way you can double click to start playing anywhere in the track, and that when you stop it, it remembers where you stopped it, when you hit play again. Show whole track is very useful for seeing how far through you are.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

toasterman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a long time Windows user recently switched to a Mac. I've been hunting for a Mac equivalent of Audition/Cool Edit, and Audacity is a bit basic/fiddly. I had a go with a trial of Adobe Soundbooth but it seems needlessly complicated (not to mention very expensive), considering how good Cooledit is. Got a recommendation for Amadeus so am giving it a try.

So far, some things better than Audition, some things not so easy.
Just a few queries....
1. Is there any way to record "what you hear" or "stereo mix" like on Windows? This isn't an Amadeus fault - I've no idea how to do this on a Mac, and it's a handy thing to be able to do, and thought you guys might know.
What I mostly use it for is playing something in iTunes that is copy protected, and recording it in something else (hence getting around the copy protection). I'm not stealing music - but I do a bit of community radio and I need to remove swear words from songs if there are any (seems commonplace at the moment).
Multiple ways -- try hijack pro
2. When you do a "paste over" - is there any way to choose what volume it does this at? Sometimes I might record something dry, then use "mix paste" on Audition to put a bed/soundtrack underneath it, but I can't immediately see how to do this on Amadeus.
I guess I could finalize the speech and "paste over" the music, but I've no idea what volume it would come out at.
Maybe there's another way of doing this I haven't worked out yet?
Probably easier to use Amadeus pro and use multiple channels. I have
done it in AII just do a pste over, if the levels are wrong cmmand-Z;
change the level, copy it again.
3. When you add a stereo track, and you can move it left and right to line up with the other track - I'm fine with that. When it plays though, it only plays the one you have selected. Any way to get it to play all the tracks shown, in their positions, at once?
Have them all marked for playing
I should say I love the way I can zoom in/out while selecting. I've been crying out for that feature for a long time on other software. Also I like the way you can double click to start playing anywhere in the track, and that when you stop it, it remembers where you stopped it, when you hit play again. Show whole track is very useful for seeing how far through you are.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

toasterman

Post by toasterman »

Thanks for your quick response CDJonah_alt.
Will checkout the software you mentioned.

I did have all tracks marked for playing, but I was double clicking a track and expecting it to play all tracks at the point I clicked.
Do you have to move the playback head manually to before the section you want and hit space? If I double click, it only seems to play the track that I double clicked?
I figured it should play all of the ones with "play" ticked, when I did that?

Does a paste-over just paste it at original volume? To be fair even when i can pick volume levels on Audition I've never got a clue what percentage to put in, so I normally end up doing a lot of 'undo's anyway.
Now I can see how to multitrack it and hear different tracks at the same time, I may well do it that way instead. It probably makes more sense if I'm recording a few things with the same music on anyway.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Will checkout the software you mentioned.
Another way of transferring from iTunes is to burn an Audio CD (use a
rewritable CD so you don't waste it) and then open the resulting
files. This is probably even faster.
I did have all tracks marked for playing, but I was double clicking
a track and expecting it to play all tracks at the point I clicked.
Do you have to move the playback head manually to before the section
you want and hit space? If I double click, it only seems to play the
track that I double clicked?
I figured it should play all of the ones with "play" ticked, when I
did that?
If you double-click, it only plays the track you are clicking on. To
play all tracks from the insertion point, change the playback
behaviour in the preferences.
Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

toasterman

Post by toasterman »

Another way of transferring from iTunes is to burn an Audio CD (use a
rewritable CD so you don't waste it) and then open the resulting
files. This is probably even faster.
Ah. Now thats impressive. I didn't even realise I could edit directly from CD without importing/converting first. Ripping/finding resulting tracks off the CD again after burning was what put me off doing it that way before.
If you double-click, it only plays the track you are clicking on. To
play all tracks from the insertion point, change the playback
behaviour in the preferences.
Brilliant. Now I can tick/untick them when playing to see if it sounds too crowded too. I love how I have full sound editing functionality in multitrack view. That's very handy. And being able to increase/decrease the volume of the whole sound in an easy non-permanent way - is very helpful.

And credit has to be given for the speed you replied, considering I haven't even bought the software yet.
Thanks very much. I've got a friend who recently converted to Mac and was looking for an Audition-style-editor. I can now tell him I've found something better! :D