Feature request: Save the markers in a separate file!!!

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Macoustics

Feature request: Save the markers in a separate file!!!

Post by Macoustics »

I've spent a lot of time with Steinbergs Wavelab, and they do a couple of brilliant things in that program.

One of which is to store the markers in a separate file.

With Amadeus Pro, each-and-every-freakin-time I make even the slightest adjustments to a marker - the actual soundfile I'm working on gets flagged as changed - saving the markers means saving the entire file...

I don't know about you people, but spending 1 minute each time I feel like saving the changes to my markers (and nothing but my markers) drives me mad.

How about give the markers (and any other change not-directly-connected-to the sound data) their own file, with the same name as the sound itself, just with a different file ending. ".mrk" or whatever. There might even be a standard for this for all I know.

I work with AIFF. Just now I tried to actually save to the Amadeus format, to see if it made any difference.

No. Same here. Save ALL of the 640 MB+ just because I added a single marker before closing the file.

Wavelab does as far as I know not use any particular format "of its own" - no matter if you work with AIFF, WAV or any other of the supported formats it behaves in the same way:

1) It creates a peak file for the "wave" if it doesn't exist - I guess this is just a helper file to speed things up.
2) All the markers of any kind are saved to a separate file. Change to markers makes the program aware that you have made changes - but it doesn't have to save anything but the miniscule marker file.

The result of this practice? Aside from any actual trimming/processing of the audio data, saving when working with markers are INSTANTANEOUS.

Call me Mr. Picky - but the current practice in Amadeus is seriously cramping my style - and eating my time. About one minute every time I want to save - even if there's NO change in the audio data.

Please consider putting the markers in a separate file - where they belong.

In fact - with one or more such extra files, there would be no particular point in using the Amadeus format anyway - there would be no drawback in using AIFF or WAV.

Anybody else agree in my point of view here?

matsgz

Re: Feature request: Save the markers in a separate file!!!

Post by matsgz »

Macoustics wrote: In fact - with one or more such extra files, there would be no particular point in using the Amadeus format anyway - there would be no drawback in using AIFF or WAV.
Just curious. How do you mean? I often have Amadeus files, ongoing projects, with 10 or more parallell tracks. Is it possible to save a project like that in aiff?

Macoustics

Ah yes...

Post by Macoustics »

My bad - I forgot the mixing & Tricksing...

No, you're right. The Amadeus file format is just as necessary as the Photoshop format is for picture editing.