Feature Requests

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

nbarman

Feature Requests

Post by nbarman »

Hi,

I have a few suggestions for improving Amadeus.

1. Markers
---------------
Currently, markers are tied to a particular point in the sound file. This means that if I say "hi" and place a marker right before that, no matter what happens to the rest of the sound file before the "hi" (whether I add elements or delete elements), the marker will remain tied to the "hi". In most situations, this is desirable.

However, there is also an option to set markers automatically in a given time interval (say, every 5 minutes). But because these markers are also set to specific points in the sound file, they are not locked in time, but rather locked by the sound they are placed at. This means that if I delete a section before my first 5-minute mark, then my marker is no longer at 5 minutes in time, but is at the location of the sound that was originally at the 5-minute point.

The suggestion is that there should be an option that allows a user to place a marker locked to a point in time and not locked to a point in the sound file. Maybe this option should be built into the option that allows for time-increment markers. Or maybe markers should have a "lock" option that will lock them to a point in time.

2. Interface
----------------
Currently, it seems like there are too many interface elements in Amadeus that get in the way of working. For example, if I highlight a section of my sound file, I want to instantly see what the duration of that highlight is. But in order to see it, I first have to open the window for selection, then look it up. Similarly, if I want to do something with markers, I have to open the window for markers, then play around with it. I suggest that informational elements should be placed directly in the main window (such as highlight duration) while all the other small windows should be combined into one sidebar or "inspector" as it's used in other programs for the Mac. This would make it easier to navigate and work with Amadeus.

Thanks!

matsgz

Re: Feature Requests

Post by matsgz »

nbarman wrote:For example, if I highlight a section of my sound file, I want to instantly see what the duration of that highlight is. But in order to see it, I first have to open the window for selection, then look it up.
Hi,
I don't know about your other requests, but this one is easily solved. If you go to View>Customise Toolbar you get a choice of "Selection" (with start and end times), "Selection Start", "Selection End" and "Selection Lengths". Drag the desired object or objects to your toolbar, and , voilá, you have it there at a glance.

Tristan

Bypassing the "Markers" window

Post by Tristan »

The nifty suggestion from matsgz eliminates any need to open the "Selection" window.

Sweet. 8)

Since constantly opening the "Markers" window is another thing that's been bumming you out, nbarman, I wanted to suggest that this too may be unnecessary.

While the "Markers" window may be a useful tool in a few cases, I generally prefer to access the marker functionality from the main window. To create a marker, type "m" or "p" or simply click in the marker track. To edit a marker's name, position or color, click on the marker itself. And to navigate between markers, there's option-left arrow and option-right arrow.

So there's another window you might not have to keep opening.