Newbie needing help with editing volume

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

janetbxyz

Post by janetbxyz »

I looked at the Help in Amadeus Pro (2.3.1) to figure out if there is a way to create louder and softer passages in a piece I am working on. It says "The ramp function allows you to change the volume of the sound from one level at the start of the selection to anther level at the end of the selection."

How? I don't know what "the ramp function" is, or how to use it, or where to find it. Can someone walk me through the process, please?

I think I know how to select the section I want to change...maybe. OK, it would be nice if you can walk me through the entire process. I don't understand all the terms associated with music editing, so it would help if you can just say click on this, and click (or double click) on that.

thanks in advance for the time and effort to help me.
"Music is the window to the Soul."

CDJonah

Post by CDJonah »

You will basically create an envelope (at least that is what is called
on my older version of Amadeus) and apply it to your sound. With
envelope you can't amplify anything so you will need the loudest section
that you want at the maximum volume before you start.

Chuck

On 9/17/17 7:52 AM, janetbxyz wrote:
I looked at the Help in Amadeus Pro (2.3.1) to figure out if there is a way to create louder and softer passages in a piece I am working on. It says "The ramp function allows you to change the volume of the sound from one level at the start of the selection to anther level at the end of the selection."

How? I don't know what "the ramp function" is, or how to use it, or where to find it. Can someone walk me through the process, please?

I think I know how to select the section I want to change...maybe. OK, it would be nice if you can walk me through the entire process. I don't understand all the terms associated with music editing, so it would help if you can just say click on this, and click (or double click) on that.

------------------------
"Music is the window to the Soul."

markw

Re: Newbie needing help with editing volume

Post by markw »

janetbxyz wrote:I looked at the Help in Amadeus Pro (2.3.1) to figure out if there is a way to create louder and softer passages in a piece I am working on. It says "The ramp function allows you to change the volume of the sound from one level at the start of the selection to anther level at the end of the selection."

Hello janetbxyz,
As with most thing’s there’s always “more than one way to skin a cat”! And a lot will depend on what exactly you have to work with.

Here is one possible workflow you might consider:
Open your sound file
In the Menubar go to: View > Show Envelopes For > Volumes
You should now have a coloured line (default colour is Yellow I think) running through the centre of the sound window anchored at either end by a similar colour dot or node.
Zoom in to a part of your file that you want to work on and Left Click once on the Envelope line to the right and left of the section you wish to adjust.
(This will help prevent anything outside this section from altering by accident!)
Now by clicking on the Envelope line again, between those first two clicks/nodes that you made, you can add more nodes which you can drag up, to increase volume or down to decrease volume. As you adjust nodes you will see numbers to the side of them showing the change in decibels.
Here’s a quick screenshot of some adjustments to a Volume Envelope: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3oo79th0nl5qj ... 1.png?dl=0

Hope you find this of some help.[/img]