How to cut silence out of a piece of music

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Well, it's years since I used AmadeusLite, so I can't really remember how I used to do things; but I'm sure it didn't behave like this before.

There's a few seconds of silence in a track I'm trying to clean up prior to loading it to my phone. I select the section I want to dump, then use 'Cut' or 'Delete' - but neither of these actually removes the section. It just fills it with more silence!

So what do I need to do to delete that part of the file altogether?

Appreciate any comments, suggestions.
Cheers, Dave.

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Wow, such an underwhelming response, I don't know where to start. :?

Well, you'll all be relieved to know that it was only one of the sound files I've created, that behaved like that. It seems to have something to do with those little green spots that sometimes appear for no apparent reason - I've yet to find out what they're for, couldn't find anything in the Help files (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).

Anyway, most of my files behave themselves quite well in AmadeusLite, so I'm still happy to use it.

Cheers, Dave.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

There's a few seconds of silence in a track I'm trying to clean up prior to loading it to my phone. I select the section I want to dump, then use 'Cut' or 'Delete' - but neither of these actually removes the section. It just fills it with more silence!
You probably have "smart editing" turned on in the "Edit" menu, which smoothens out edits with short fades. If you turn it off, it will edit with sample precision. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I renewed my acquaintance with the smart editing function, a very nice touch if I may say so.

Actually the section I was trying to remove was where the orchestra plays very quietly, maybe for half a minute or even a minute.

When I typed Command-C, I noticed that the red line (insertion marker?) moved a little way away from the section I was trying to delete, but the section was flattened (silenced) rather than being deleted.

I don't have that file any more, I dumped it and made a new one. This time I somehow managed to avoid accumulating those green spots.

Cheers, Dave.