Quick question on CD burning, track names etc

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

KateS

Quick question on CD burning, track names etc

Post by KateS »

I have a very large file which I would like to burn to audio CDs. The file is 11 hours, 42 minutes, so I'll need 10 or 11 CDs.

I'm having trouble with a couple of things.

1. CD-TEXT data isn't writing to the CD. iTunes reads the resulting CD as "Audio CD", and while it has my tracks, it doesn't have the track names or CD Title, performer, etc. Tried a couple of times with same results. Can't figure out why. I've read through the discussion board as well as the manual. This seems like a very simple operation in AP, so I must be missing something.

2. What's the best way of splitting a large file into segments and burning audio CDs from it? Is there a better way than simply copying and pasting ~70 minutes into a new document?

Here's what I've tried so far:

Attempt 1:
-Select a roughly 70minute segment (10 tracks in my case), copy, and paste into a new, untitled AP document.
-Set metadata
-Sound:Burn to CD with following options: consider all markers checked; Write CD-TEXT data checked. Title, Performer, Composer were automatically filled in from the metadata. Markers set to Title.
-Hit ok. CD burns no problem, but the resulting audio CD comes in with no track names, title, etc.

Result: Audio CD with tracks but no track names, CD Title, artist, etc.

Attempt 2:
From a comment I read here, I wondered if I could do this without having to create separate files for each ~70 minute segment. I wondered if color coding roughly 70 minutes worth would work. I made the first 10 tracks red, left the rest black, then tried to burn a CD with following options: start color: Red; end color: Red; Consider all markers unchecked; Write CD-TEXT data checked as in attempt 1.

Result: "The record is too long for this CD! Try splitting the record into several shorter records and burn them to separate CDs."

Is there any way of writing an appropriately sized group of tracks to CD without having to split the file?

Any tips welcome. Thanks
Amadeus Pro, Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

JEGG

Re: Quick question on CD burning, track names etc

Post by JEGG »

KateS wrote:I have a very large file which I would like to burn to audio CDs. The file is 11 hours, 42 minutes, so I'll need 10 or 11 CDs.

I'm having trouble with a couple of things.

1. CD-TEXT data isn't writing to the CD. iTunes reads the resulting CD as "Audio CD", and while it has my tracks, it doesn't have the track names or CD Title, performer, etc. Tried a couple of times with same results. Can't figure out why. I've read through the discussion board as well as the manual. This seems like a very simple operation in AP, so I must be missing something.
'Don't have time for the explanation, but this can't be done-so no need to prolong your frustration! (Not being snarky, it's just the explanation is a bit lengthy and involves the "Audio disc" format and hardware considerations.)
KateS wrote: What's the best way of splitting a large file into segments and burning audio CDs from it? Is there a better way than simply copying and pasting ~70 minutes into a new document?
They way I would do it is a function called "Split According to Markers." You'll end with with a folder and all of you tracks by name. Then to construct your CD's, select "Join Files" and drag tracks from anywhere in to the window. You'll end up with a new file with markers in place. From there you can burn your new compilation using "Consider All Markers."

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.