Amadeus blocking disks?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

treefrog

Amadeus blocking disks?

Post by treefrog »

With version 2.2.2 I cannot eject disks (even though I didn't use them with Amadeus) as long as Amadeus is active. It says "The disk XX couldn't be ejected because Amadeu Pro is using it."

That's on Capitan. Any solution to this?

Thanks

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Amadeus blocking disks?

Post by Martin Hairer »

That's on Capitan. Any solution to this?
Make sure that it isn't using that disk for its temporary files. You can set this in the corresponding preferences pane. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Cherrill P. Heaton

Edirol R09 recording question

Post by Cherrill P. Heaton »

I record my band by plugging my Edirol R09HR into the house system’s Rec Out. Volume Input Range on the Edirol is zero to 80. I get satisfactory results at about 48, just below clipping. Recently I recorded with built-in Edirol miss at home at Vol Input of about 78. Did not remember to change setting when next recording the band. Noticed at the break and changed input vol from 78 to 48. Expected first set (1.5 hours) to be distorted beyond usability.
Did Analyze>Waveform Statistics…on first-set recording and found over 150,000 clipped samples. But I used Effects>Amplify…99% on first-set recording, did analysis of waveform, and got zero clipped samples. Listened to recording and burned a CD and cannot hear any distortion. Recording is actually good, maybe better than what I usually get.

Edirol has “Limiter/AGC� switch. I thought I always had this switch turned off, but limiter was on for this recording.

Is the explanation for 150,000+ clipped samples at 100% and zero clipped samples at Amplify 99% that many instances of clipping slipped through the limiter, but they were so slight as not to be audible (to me)?

MrEes

Post by MrEes »

Assuming you recorded two channels at 44.1kHz, 150,000 clipped samples is 0.0315% of the samples in the first set. Unless the clipping happened over a short time interval, your monitoring system probably did more sonic damage than that (no aspersions intended!). The clipped samples probably got past the limiter because it can't be predictive. It is always reactionary.

m.
--
All generalizations are dangerous… – Alexandre Dumas

On 12 Jan 2016, at 09:12, Cherrill P. Heaton <heaton5@cox.net (heaton5@cox.net)> wrote:
I record my band by plugging my Edirol R09HR into the house system’s Rec Out. Volume Input Range on the Edirol is zero to 80. I get satisfactory results at about 48, just below clipping. Recently I recorded with built-in Edirol miss at home at Vol Input of about 78. Did not remember to change setting when next recording the band. Noticed at the break and changed input vol from 78 to 48. Expected first set (1.5 hours) to be distorted beyond usability.
Did Analyze>Waveform Statistics…on first-set recording and found over 150,000 clipped samples. But I used Effects>Amplify…99% on first-set recording, did analysis of waveform, and got zero clipped samples. Listened to recording and burned a CD and cannot hear any distortion. Recording is actually good, maybe better than what I usually get.

Edirol has “Limiter/AGC” switch. I thought I always had this switch turned off, but limiter was on for this recording.

Is the explanation for 150,000+ clipped samples at 100% and zero clipped samples at Amplify 99% that many instances of clipping slipped through the limiter, but they were so slight as not to be audible (to me)?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

But I used Effects>Amplify…99% on first-set recording, did analysis of waveform, and got zero clipped samples.
If you apply Effects -> Amplify with 99% on *any* recording, you will get 0 clipped samples by definition, since the largest sample will be 0.99. This doesn't mean that it sounds any better though (it will actually sound exactly the same, you cannot *remove* clipping in this way)...

Long story short, it looks like you got lucky and the limiter did a good job at damage-control, but I personally would just record at slightly lower volume, unless this is done intentionally to produce a certain effect. (And then, you could probably easily achieve the same effect in post-processing with a compressor.) Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/