Amadeus Compressor/Limiter Effect

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Post by AvatarKory »

Hi,

I am running the latest version of Amadeus on my Mac OS/X 10.7.5. I have to process some long audio files that were created by concatenating a series of smaller clips that were recorded at different volumes. I need to get the final audio file to has a consistant volumes from start to finish.

If I use the Normalize function, the loudest clip to sound correct, but the quiter clips are still to low. If I use the amplify function, again same kind of problem -- the louder clips saturate when I amplify the quieter clips to where I need them to be.

I think what I need is a compressor / limiter effect? Does Amadeus have something like this? I've gone through all of the built in effects. Can I download or purchase one?

Is there another way of achieving my goal?

Also, I see big, but very short spikes at the beginign of some of the clips that were concatenated toher. I think thise as caused my hitting the play button on the playback device when the original clip was recorded.

Is there a way to remove these spike automatically with some effect?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kory

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

Hi Kory

One of the compressors may improve the difference in levels. There is
also a free program specifically for this purpose: The Levelator.
http://web.archive.org/web/201307292045 ... levelator/

Gerard

Post by AvatarKory »

Thanks, Gerard! The Levelator was exactly what I was looking for. Kory

Gary K

Post by Gary K »

I have some ancient Bob & Ray recordings that were ripped to mp3, 32 kbs mono, from a damaged reel to reel tape. The damage was physical I think, as it was rhythmic with the approximate speed of old skool RTR tape machines. Each revolution brought a 1-2 second instance of reduced volume and loss of mid tones. Forget high tones; they were long gone. There were a dozen of these one hours mp3's and they were perhaps the worst group of mp3's I have ever seen. If you want to experiment with restoring decent sound to old material, try Old Time Radio stuff.

Anyway, I first used a simple compressor, the Klanghelm DCA1A2. I then normalized the file. This got me almost there. Anything more aggressive in the compression department would not really make a difference other than degrade the sound even more. I then tried Gerald's suggestion of the Levelator. It is no longer supported but still available at the link on this thread. It seemed to work fine on Mavericks. Finally, applied after the two steps above, it did improve the sound. Very nice little app. Thanks!

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

A limiter is provided in OSX's Audio Units: menu Effects>Audio Units>AuDynamic Processor.

This article may help in understanding the operation of a compressor-limiter - it was written using Cubase as an illustration but the principle is the same:

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia. ... ssion.html