Fast and Smooth removal

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mudhen

Fast and Smooth removal

Post by mudhen »

We have a series of lectures edited for content as well as to remove hundreds of coughs and scuffles. Fast and Smooth was applied to some of them during editing, but we have decided that the tapes sound better without Fast and Smooth. For one of the longest lectures in the series, there is no edited back-up copy without Fast and Smooth. The lectures are to be used together as a set, so the sound of the voice needs to match from one talk to the next.

Is there a way to reverse Fast and Smooth after a hundred or so edits have been applied over it, and hours of other lectures edited afterwards? Alternately, is there a setting that would doctor the Fast and Smooth lecture to sound similar to the lectures that were not run through the Dynamics Processor? (I tried just making the Dynamics Processor line straight and applying that to a copy, but that did not do the job.)

Gerard Bik

Fast and Smooth removal

Post by Gerard Bik »

From my limited experience I would say you should invert the settings
of the Dynamics Processor. Expand what has been compressed and vice
versa.

It won't be exactly the same as the original, though.

Gerard

mudhen

Fast and Smooth removal

Post by mudhen »

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. However, I am a novice, and see no way to force the curved line in the preset audio unit to curve in the opposite direction, although I can envision it. I do not know how to translate the diagram of Fast and Smooth to something I can manipulate more easily, like the ten band equalizer, or even if that would be the correct tool to use.

What tool can I use to reverse the effect of a preset dynamics processor?