Pitch and Speed problem (with tremolo)

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

dpfels

Pitch and Speed problem (with tremolo)

Post by dpfels »

I am trying to change the speed of an orchestral piece with a solo cello that uses deep tremolo. From what I can tell, the speed change algorithm is having some problem with the tremolo though I am not sure why. If I slow the speed to 85%, the parts with tremolo sound slightly drunk: the speed of the tremolo is no longer uniform and the pitch sounds slightly off for brief moments.

Is there something about the speed/pitch algorithm that can be fooled by a slow tremolo? It sounds like it is trying to dynamically compensate for the change in pitch that is part of the cellist's technique.

Is there a better plugin out there that won't have this problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

ioannis

Post by ioannis »

I've heard good things about iZotope's pitch/speed algorithm, but I don't know if there is any plugin using it.
There should be, but they make rather expensive stuff...

But I think the problem is not always the software. Tremolo by humans is almost never isochronic, or uniform in db's, so what you describe by slowing it down is expected. It just makes these "anomalies" (that make it more beautiful than the mechanic/electronic tremolo) clear... A slow-down to 85% is in this case "huge"

dpfels

Post by dpfels »

Thanks! I think your reply was better than getting the software. I enjoyed that!

ioannis

Post by ioannis »

my pleasure...

Well, if you want to keep the same fast tremolo in slower speed, what you could consider is the following trick:

– copy (part of) the original/fast one,
– "amplify" it with a negative value
– add/mix it with the slowed down version, in a way that it sounds faster and uniform.

I don't know if the result will be what you want it to be, but it may work...

Another way could be to:
– just copy part of the original/fast one and just add it somewhere in itself with a good fade so it makes the original longer...
But if there's a lot of dynamic or other modulation (a ponticello or cresc/dim etc) it won't work.

Let me know what happens (if you try it)

gr.

dpfels

Post by dpfels »

Interesting - I will try both of these these approaches. I need to listen carefully to see if the variation is primarily in amplitude or pitch - I am fairly sure it is both.

Since the problem is primarily with one phrase, it may be worth doing the kind of spot corrections you are proposing. In any case, it will be worth trying, since I am bound to learn something.

Thanks again!

ioannis

Post by ioannis »

it may work (especially if you add some minimal or more reverb to it), but of course, it's never going to be exactly as if the player was doing it for longer time.

Normally the variation will be in both speed and frequency.

But it is a little remedy if you have no other choice.

- Another trick to try (if e.g. you need to keep a fast/intense tremolo for longer, instead of doing the first tips), is to:

copy a part of the tremolo (that has the character you need and maybe with the least frequency/dynamic variation) and treat is as a kind of loop, adjusting the cross fades a/o controlling the volume level, so that it sounds uniform. So you can patch the empty time you need. It will work best if it's not such a big "hole"...