Please help- Really? No DAW with audible waveform editing?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mikeshepherd

Post by mikeshepherd »

Does a DAW exist wherein, like in Bias Peak, I can audibly hold down my mouse while i move a cursor across a waveform in real time and... HEAR
the audio - so I can mark edit points? Astonishingly, I have searched for
this for decades and Peak is now gone but still my centerpiece app because
primarily of that feature ...just as it was on the verge of a multi-channel version - or so those of us who contributed to product development were
lead to believe.

I simply can't fathom why no one would not, in an AUDIO editing app - not want - or have, by simple logic - the ability to HEAR what one is dragging across - "as" you are doing so - in order to precisely place edit points for cut/paste move and insert points. I've hit a wall on this issue and scoured the universe of DAW apps in search of something comparable to Peak in a multichannel version - I'm really getting tired of having to rely on standalone DAW units of the past like Audicy and Fostex Foundation when I need to do multitrack -- these at least "got" the concept - and it shouldn't be some weird notion to anyone who does production for a living...

I don't know HOW people do waveform editing without hearing the audio signal as you work with it! Simply amazing - and extremely frustrating... Help me if you can! I really really have to find a Mac based DAW that delivers this fundamental feature.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, if you start playback, then you can click into the timeline, drag the playback
head around, and playback will follow. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

mikeshepherd

Audible waveform

Post by mikeshepherd »

Hi Martin, i hear the 'audibility' you describe but that is not really giving me the control to position an edit mark like, for example, Peak - i guess if you could move the green play marker while it was In PAUSE/PLAY - so you could place the desired edit point you want to mark by 'sound' (by ear?) - it would be far easier than having to try and "land" it . Trying to do it the way you describe sort of like having a moving target --that is, the audio keeps playing while you're trying to park the marker where you want it - rather than just being audible as you drag across it and not having to fight the fact that it is in play - Like, in a reel-to-reel situation, the tape transport is stopped- but i can still move the reels / recorded audio - against the playback head manually - if the tape were in play while i were trying to do this, it would be impossible - it has to effectively be in 'pause' =

Is there a way that it can be coded so i could move the marker and hear the audio without having the audio still in 'play' ? Otherwise i guess i don't see the point of it the way it is now.

In analogue terms, it would be as if you had your hands on both reels and moving the tape against the playback head to find the precise mark point. In that case the audio only 'moves' (plays) when you move the tape. This is the idea that i'm getting at... Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Mike

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

Mike,
maybe if you get to know more Amadeus tricks, you will see the
possibilities instead of the impossibilities.

I for instance like the trick of hitting "p" while playing back. It
instantly creates a marker.
Later I can go back and name the markers and maybe reposition them.
For difficult parts try slowing down playback speed.
If I'm in a very precise mood I usually zoom in deep and correct the
marker visually.

Gerard

--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

IEDP gecertificeerd

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

Mike:
I know your problem exactly! Here are a few thoughts.

AP will behave like PEAK, but with some significant limitations (that could be fixed by Martin maybe...!).

Here's scrubbing similarly, if not exactly, to one mode ("Dynamic Scrub") of PEAK. This is the same for stereo or multi-track.

1. Begin playing the file at an appropriate place.
2. Click/hold (or equiv on magic pad) and drag the play head around. It will play a loop.
*Here's the important step:*
3. When you've found the point, *keep the mouse held down at the intended point* (the audio continues to loop) and *depress the space bar* simultaneously. That precisely positions the playback head (and stops the loop).
4. Place a marker.

The significant limitation is, unlike Peak, the duration of the loop cannot be specified, and it is not nearly(!) short enough to accurately place a marker-but you will improve with practice.

Martin-how about an adjustable loop time for the scrub function? Adjustable from as short as 10ms to a more usual 60ms on up to 150ms-more if wanted. That would really extend the utility of editing in AP. And it would be nice if playback didn't have to be engaged so that the playback head need not be "chased." It may first be counter-intuitive, but editing requires these really short loop times.

If you (the OP) need to refine your points after using the above method, work with a selected in and out point in your file, and then easily audition the effects of moving those in and out points slightly.

If you (OP) require still better scrubbing, then look at DSP-Quattro. Not only does it have a ribbon controller, but you can just very briefly click on the ribbon at different speed points to *audibly nudge* a point very precisely. No multi-track, though.

I hope I'm not violating forum etiquette (and Martin please tell me otherwise), but I don't see these products competing- they cater to very different needs and have entirely different features and capabilities. I have both.
Last edited by JEGG on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 26 times in total.

wa9dro@gmail.com

Post by wa9dro@gmail.com »

scrubbing,

I use command option left and right arrows to move through the song, works well for me.
Keith Reedy