Equalization and Amplify

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

slips

Equalization and Amplify

Post by slips »

I am new to Amadeus Pro, but I did use the prior version.
I am recording some LPs (all post 1956) to a Mac running Mountain Lion, using a NuMark USB turntable.
As the USB turntable has no volume controls, the volume on the recorded albums seems to be quite low.
I have exported one of the recordings into ITunes, which seems to adjust the volume level (along with whatever other changes that ITunes makes to the file).
I am recording some jazz, some classical and a few popular (rock, country) albums.
Does anyone have any suggestions about whether I should apply an Equalizer effect to the files (RIAA or otherwise), and should this vary depending upon the type of music, and whether I should increase the volume (Amplify) by some number of decibels. Martin has advised that an increase of less than 10db won't degrade the sound.
I am also using ClickRepair on the files, and I have been using this first before making other changes.
Thanks for your advice.

CDJonah

Equalization and Amplify

Post by CDJonah »

I probably would not equalize as the USB turntable probably includes the
equalization.

My tendency on volume is to "normalize to 0 dB of the maximum value"
rather than amplify.

Chuck

On 10/12/12 8:32 AM, slips wrote:
I am new to Amadeus Pro, but I did use the prior version.
I am recording some LPs (all post 1956) to a Mac running Mountain Lion, using a NuMark USB turntable.
As the USB turntable has no volume controls, the volume on the recorded albums seems to be quite low.
I have exported one of the recordings into ITunes, which seems to adjust the volume level (along with whatever other changes that ITunes makes to the file).
I am recording some jazz, some classical and a few popular (rock, country) albums.
Does anyone have any suggestions about whether I should apply an Equalizer effect to the files (RIAA or otherwise), and should this vary depending upon the type of music, and whether I should increase the volume (Amplify) by some number of decibels. Martin has advised that an increase of less than 10db won't degrade the sound.
I am also using ClickRepair on the files, and I have been using this first before making other changes.
Thanks for your advice.

slips

Post by slips »

CD,
Thanks for the quick response. I will give it a try.