Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heat and fan noise with Amadeus playback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Cecil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Heat and fan noise with Amadeus playback Reply with quote

I am using a 2010 Macbook Pro (with OSX Lion) and Apogee Duet 2 audio interface (USB) and Focal powered monitors (or headphones).
Can someone explain why, when I listen to an Amadeus file my computer heats up and the fans often start blowing loudly, but when I place the same file in iTunes and play it back, there are no such problems?
The typical file is a standard CD rip, with just a couple of tracks or sections edited out.
When the Amadeus file is replayed (in Amadeus Pro), the computer's Activity Monitor shows an Amadeus Pro %CPU of between 16 and 24.
When playing the same file (saved as an AIFF) in iTunes, the %CPU is only around 4 or 5.
Is there something I need to be aware of that will enable me to avoid the heat and fan noise issue? Do the above CPU readings indicate any abnormality? Thanks.
CDJonah_alt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Heat and fan noise with Amadeus playback Reply with quote

Remember AP is scrolling the window and the data while Itunes doesn't.
That means lots of rewrites of the screen. Those don't come for free.
Possibly if you compressed the window to a narrow width, then the load
would be less.

Chuck

On 12/25/11 2:22 AM, Sir Cecil wrote:
Quote:
I am using a 2010 Macbook Pro (with OSX Lion) and Apogee Duet 2 audio interface (USB) and Focal powered monitors (or headphones).
Can someone explain why, when I listen to an Amadeus file my computer heats up and the fans often start blowing loudly, but when I place the same file in iTunes and play it back, there are no such problems?
The typical file is a standard CD rip, with just a couple of tracks or sections edited out.
When the Amadeus file is replayed (in Amadeus Pro), the computer's Activity Monitor shows an Amadeus Pro %CPU of between 16 and 24.
When playing the same file (saved as an AIFF) in iTunes, the %CPU is only between 2 and 4.
Is there something I need to be aware of that will enable me to avoid the heat and fan noise issue? Do the above CPU readings indicate any abnormality? Thanks.

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list
Sir Cecil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Chuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: