Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording misses a bunch of the source

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anglo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Recording misses a bunch of the source Reply with quote

On recordings I've made recently (putting LPs and cassettes onto CD), I'm finding that AP1.5 keeps dropping out bits of the source - the end result is that it sounds like an LP that keeps skipping randomly, sometimes just once in a song, sometimes every few seconds.

One 52 minute cassette came in at 46 minutes, 48 minutes when I tried it again. I didn't notice at first (playing the source as I recorded was fine). I think it's only since I upgraded to 1.5.

I recorded one piece in Audacity and saved as in Wave format, hoping to be at least able to edit it in AP (which I far prefer). AP seemed to open the file, but all I saw was a straight line. I did the further upgrade to 1.5.1, but got the same result.

Is there a way to downgrade?
Anglo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Recording misses a bunch of the source Reply with quote

I hadn't realized I can export from Audacity in AIFF format, and Amadeus opens that just fine, so at least I can use AP for editing.
Martin Hairer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Recording misses a bunch of the source Reply with quote

Quote:
AP seemed to open the file, but all I saw was a straight line.

Strange... Are you sure the WAVE file is correct? (Does it preview fine in the Finder?) If yes, could you please upload it to my ftp server:

address: ftp.hairersoft.com
username: hairer_guest
password: guestftp

This would allow me to reproduce the problem. Thanks,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Anglo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Recording misses a bunch of the source Reply with quote

Martin, your suggestion that the temp file location might be a problem with my setup (in response to my hangup problem detailed in another thread) seems to be the cause of this one as well. I just recorded a 72 minute cassette, the sound file is the right length, selected playback reveals no problems (I haven't listened back to the whole thing!) and I think you nailed it.

Thank you.
Martin Hairer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Recording misses a bunch of the source Reply with quote

Quote:
Martin, your suggestion that the temp file location might be a problem with my setup (in response to my hangup problem detailed in another thread) seems to be the cause of this one as well. I just recorded a 72 minute cassette, the sound file is the right length, selected playback reveals no problems (I haven't listened back to the whole thing!) and I think you nailed it.

Makes sense. If the disk is not responsive, then it is not surprising that a recording made to that
disk would have blanks... Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: