loud distortion (intermittent) on Mac Mini

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

macdrummer

Post by macdrummer »

I have been using Amadeus Pro for a long time and for a year or so on my Mac Mini (early 2009) with no problems. I was recording some voiceovers recently. I recorded every evening for a couple of hours for about a week, then, one evening, when I tried playing back a recording, there was a loud pop before the playback and then the volume went crazy high with a lot of distortion. It was like the output signal to my monitors was at least doubled. I had done no processing of the recording, only playback. I am using a Shure SM58 mic into a Behringer UB1202 mixer then thru a Behringer UAC202 USB interface into the MacMini. The MacMini headphone output goes to a pair of Alesis active studio monitors. If I plug in headphones instead of the monitors, the same distortion comes through them. I have recorded into the MacMini audio input, bypassing the UAC202 with the same result. Sometimes it doesn't happen and the recordings playback just fine, but then, without warning, the volume jumps really high. This does not happen when I play songs through iTunes, audio in a browser window or any other time. Just when I am using Amadeus Pro 1.4.5. I really like the application and need to solve this problem before I blow my monitors.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Do you have a file with which you can reproduce this consistently? Do you see anything on the waveform when this happens? Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

macdrummer

Post by macdrummer »

it happens with every file I created in AP. There is nothing in the waveform that changes.

macdrummer

Post by macdrummer »

I just thought of something I haven't tried. This evening I will open a file that I did not create in AP and see if the same thing happens.

macdrummer

distortion

Post by macdrummer »

Martin,
I can't explain it, but I opened a new file and recorded for an hour or so and didn't have the problem. I'll keep you posted on this thread if it happens again. Thanks.