Ducking the audio of a music track?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

There's a blue line at the top of the track. It is intended to be used as an envelope. Just click and drag the shape you want for your fades.

I think that's what you want.
Gerard

Hey all, I'm working on production for a podcast, and as part of it, i have a voice file, which a listener has left, and I have a music track, that I want to put in the background. In Amadeus, how do I duck the volume of the music track, while the voice track is playing, and bring it back up after it's done? Help on this would be appreciated. There are volume sliders which I can adjust On each track, but I'm assuming that those only effect playback within Amadeus, , And not the finnished product?
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

Ron Fleckner

Post by Ron Fleckner »

And then flatten the track so you can save it as some kind of audio
file other than an ".amad" file. Use Sound>Flatten Document or
Sound>Flatten Document to New File

Ron

On 29/11/2009, at 9:22 AM, Gerard Bik wrote:
There's a blue line at the top of the track. It is intended to be
used as an envelope. Just click and drag the shape you want for your
fades.

Gerard

Hey all, I'm working on production for a podcast, and as part of
it, i have a voice file, which a listener has left, and I have a
music track, that I want to put in the background. In Amadeus, how
do I duck the volume of the music track, while the voice track is
playing, and bring it back up after it's done? Help on this would
be appreciated. There are volume sliders which I can adjust On
each track, but I'm assuming that those only effect playback
within Amadeus, , And not the finnished product?
______________________ _
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081
Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

Sorry about that Dan. I clearly didn't take the time to realize it was you asking.
I don't see how you could use this visual interface with Voiceover.

The easiest way, I think, is to use "Effects>Amplify" to lower the music track's volume. "Amplify" has a "Fading" setting with adjustable fade length. Maybe first put markers where you want the ducking to start and stop, then select the music in between.
This way you have to do it by hand. Maybe someone could write an automatic ducking plug-in?

Hope this helps better.
Gerard

Hi Gerard, I'm a VoiceOver user, that is, the Mac's screen reader, and rely totally on that to use my Mac. Any way to do this from a Voiceover Users prospective? Unfortunately, your advice is of no help to me, as I cannot see the screen at all.
On Nov 28, 2009, at 5:22 PM, Gerard Bik wrote:
There's a blue line at the top of the track. It is intended to be used as an envelope. Just click and drag the shape you want for your fades.

Gerard

Hey all, I'm working on production for a podcast, and as part of it, i have a voice file, which a listener has left, and I have a music track, that I want to put in the background. In Amadeus, how do I duck the volume of the music track, while the voice track is playing, and bring it back up after it's done? Help on this would be appreciated. There are volume sliders which I can adjust On each track, but I'm assuming that those only effect playback within Amadeus, , And not the finnished product?
--
______________________ _
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

This is a way of automating voiceovers, though it may not produce very tidy results, and you would need to experiment - I should try it first with a short length of music and one short voiceover - the details below are a starting point.

Record the music track. Normalize it to -11dB. Record the voice track(s) as separate recordings. Normalize them to -1dB. Drag the voice tracks onto the music track window to make new tracks and place them where you want them. When you are satisfied with the placing, 'Flatten to new file' (save the original multitrack in Amadeus format in case of further changes).

Now you have a recording with all the music at the required ducked level. Go to Effects>Audio Units>Apple>AUPeakLimiter. Set the attack time to a small amount; set the release time to 0.5-1 second to taste. Set the pre-gain to 11dB. Apply.

Now you will have the music peaking to 0dB except where the voice comes in, when it will duck to -10dB. You can obviously adjust these settings to get the result you want. Once set up you can apply it to a long recording with a lot of voiceovers in one go. You will want to reduce the overall level a few dB at the end of the process by using Effects>Amplify and setting it to (say) -3dB.