file sharing hang due to corrupt file?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

jasperx

Post by jasperx »

This is a weird one. I started looking at apple support but found nothing so am back here.
I ripped several lps on a laptop running OS 10.3.9. Then copied them across my ethernet network to a desktop running OS 10.5.8. I am not sure what precisely happened next but I noticed that one of the files "looked funny". Correct size but odd icon. Then I noticed that file sharing was completely hung up, in fact the entire 10.3.9 was barely working. I could not shut the machine down. Then I waste a day swapping HD etc to discover the drive is good and "all" I needed was to reinstall the OS on the laptop... the desktop had a kernal panic but recoverd on reboot. OK so both machines are looking good and I transfer a couple of music files I ripped this morning... works perfectly. So feeling brave(stupid?), I try that file again. It hung again... at exactly the same place in the transfer 265MB of 411MB. There is something evil about this file! The program that created it is Pro II. This time, I saved alot of headache by patiently getting file sharing shut down on the 10.3.9. While this transfer was going and hanging, I was recording another lp. Interestingly, the recording had a large number of "interuption markers". The corrupt file will not open in Amedeus. It hangs about 3/4 through and then displays input/output error -36. So why post... maybe someone knows how to repair the file or at the least it might save someone a headache or two.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

-36 is "I/O Eror". Looks like a hardware problem on one of the sectors
used by that file.
Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/