Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

«Intelligent» Amplify needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gczychi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: «Intelligent» Amplify needed Reply with quote

Hi,

I always perform the same tedious process oder and over when trying to amplify a poor voice recording:
I select the loud peaks, one by one and reduce amplification by ≈40%-60%, hundreds of times and then after all peaks are below a certain threshold, I amplify the whole sound.

That is not only very laborious but often noticeable when I don't enlarge to find the right spots.

What I am wondering is: There must be an intelligent function that amplifies a sound in a way that peaks are less amplified than soft parts. Maybe with a logarithmic function applied?

Is there such a thing in Amadeus? At all? Or is there a workaround?

Thanks a lot for any hints!

Gary
Garth Humphreys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: �Intelligent� Amplify needed Reply with quote

Yes, under Effects, Audio Units, try the dynamics processor. This will do exactly what you want.

Sent from my iPhone

On 1 Dec 2015, at 1:44 PM, gczychi <forum2mail@hairersoft.com> wrote:

Hi,

I always perform the same tedious process oder and over when trying to amplify a poor voice recording:
I select the loud peaks, one by one and reduce amplification by ≈40%-60%, hundreds of times and then after all peaks are below a certain threshold, I amplify the whole sound.

That is not only very laborious but often noticeable when I don't enlarge to find the right spots.

What I am wondering is: There must be an intelligent function that amplifies a sound in a way that peaks are less amplified than soft parts. Maybe with a logarithmic function applied?

Is there such a thing in Amadeus? At all? Or is there a workaround?

Thanks a lot for any hints!

Gary

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list
gczychi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: «Intelligent» Amplify needed Reply with quote

Garth Humphreys wrote:
Yes, under Effects, Audio Units, try the dynamics processor. This will do exactly what you want.

Thanks! A good start. It was not easy to find the best combination of settings.

The problem is, it still affects the low volume parts and I also need to apply this many times (>20x), which I believe makes significant changes to those parts that don't need to change.

Please take a look at the pictures BEFORE and AFTER (20x of AUDynamicsProcessor):

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Gary

Jim Edgar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: «Intelligent» Amplify needed Reply with quote

Experiment with the threshold setting - you want to have it where it will affect only the peaks of the waves.  You should only have to apply it one time. 

If you are dealing with original recordings which are exceptionally low volume, then that would make it more difficult. 
Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com (jimedgarvoices@gmail.com) - @jimedgarvoices
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com  -  http://about.me/jimedgar

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:20 PM, gczychi <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Garth Humphreys wrote:
Quote:
Yes, under Effects, Audio Units, try the dynamics processor.  This will do exactly what you want.

Thanks! A good start. It was not easy to find the best combination of settings.

The problem is, it still affects the low volume parts and I also need to apply this many times (>20x), which I believe makes significant changes to those parts that don't need to change.

Please take a look at the pictures BEFORE and AFTER (20x of AUDynamicsProcessor):

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Gary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: