Saving as MP3 -- bitrate setting

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

tzimoski

Post by tzimoski »

Amadeus Pro Version 1.5.5 (1202) OSX 10.9.5

The last two days I've had this problem:

I edit an m4a file, converting it to mono and inserting a number of markers. I then want to split the file according to the markers and save as mp3's. When I click on settings the bitrate is set at 256. I would like to change that but the 256 is grayed out and I can't make the change.

I don't think I've ever changed the other settings from what I believe to be their defaults.

When I try to save the file as an mp3 without splitting it I have the same problem. The bitrate setting is grayed out and I cannot change it.

Thanks for your attention.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

When I click on settings the bitrate is set at 256. I would like to change that but the 256 is grayed out and I can't make the change.
Are you using VBR (variable bitrate)? This mode can only take a quality target as input and not a fixed bitrate. If you have to aim for a fixed bitrate (which is usually not such a good idea, but you may have reasons for it), just use CBR (constant bitrate) instead.
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

tzimoski

Post by tzimoski »

Yes, that was the problem. It makes sense, even to me, that you can't select "variable bit rate" and then try to select a specific bit rate.

It's just that I don't remember doing anything with the default variable/constant/average bitrate setting in the past - but maybe I did.

In any case my problem is solved. Thank you.

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

tzimoski wrote:Yes, that was the problem. It makes sense, even to me, that you can't select "variable bit rate" and then try to select a specific bit rate.

It's just that I don't remember doing anything with the default variable/constant/average bitrate setting in the past - but maybe I did.

In any case my problem is solved. Thank you.
You should have access to variable and CBR specific rates and targets rather than arbitrary quality settings.

Try another application, probably iTunes will do it (I haven't checked) or something like Codec Toolbox, which is what I use, or WireTap Studio, or many others.

If you're streaming material from a site, there are some good reasons to use CBR, but that's beyond the scope, here.