Clicks after pitching/tempo change

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

jdb

Post by jdb »

I really enjoy Amadeus Pro as my favourite Editing App. Have my shortcuts all set up nicely, excellent workflow so far. (Logic and Audition are too sophisticated for the simple tasks I like to do with Amadeus.)

But I have realized one annoying problem:
When I edit Pitch and Tempo, let's say ...

Code: Select all

Tempo: 89,1%, Pitch: -2 (halftone mode)
... I get a few clicks all over the track.
So now I have to check all the tracks, which I have edited the last months, for flaws/clicks and repair/interpolate the bits.

Is that a common problem with pitch/tempo-algorithms?

I would prefer not to scan for clicks and interpolate each pitched track.

What is your experience on that and what would you suggest Mr. Hairer.

With best regards,
jdb[/code]

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

Depending upon your budget and needs, there is an exceptionally powerful audio repair tool which will work as a plug-in. Izotope RX. It's not cheap, but it's better than spending hours reviewing tracks. A lot of audiobook VO's use it to assist in declicking or removing extraneous mouth noises - http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/

I don't know if it would help in your situation, but unless you can quantify and automate the fix so you can use the Batch Processor, it's hard to do anything but a brute-force hack.

There is a limited period trial download version available on the site. 

- Jim

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

I am afraid that Apple’s pitch-shifting algorithm (which is what Amadeus uses) isn’t always that great at its job. In particular, it does seem to create these pops in some cases. In your situation however, slowing the sound down to 89% without doing anything else would induce a pitch-shift of almost exactly 2 half-tones anyway, so you’re probably better off selecting the “Lock” checkbox which turns off pitch-shifting altogether. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

jdb

Re: Clicks after pitching/tempo change

Post by jdb »

Jim Edgar wrote:Izotope RX.
Sound interesting, but I'm not working on soundbooks, but on solo instrumentals mostly.
I have the plug-in Izotope Radius in Adobe's Audition. Is it the same as the Izotope RX or a predecessor maybe?
Martin Hairer wrote:I am afraid that Apple’s pitch-shifting algorithm (which is what Amadeus uses) isn’t always that great at its job. In particular, it does seem to create these pops in some cases. In your situation however, slowing the sound down to 89% without doing anything else would induce a pitch-shift of almost exactly 2 half-tones anyway, so you’re probably better off selecting the “Lock” checkbox which turns off pitch-shifting altogether.
Thanks for the particular info about Apple's plug-in. Most tracks get a few clicks/pops, others do not at all...strange...
The lock checkbox is always active, because it's exactly two halftones that I want to go "down".[/i]

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

Well - I figured that Clicks is Clicks...

And you could experiment with the free download before full purchase. Not familiar with Radius. They have some amazingly effective algorithms, though.

hope that helps,

- Jim

--
sent from some phone

On Jan 12, 2014, at 11:49 AM, jdb <forum2mail@hairersoft.com> wrote:

Jim Edgar wrote:
Izotope RX.
Sound interesting, but I'm not working on soundbooks, but on solo instrumentals mostly.
I have the plug-in Izotope Radius in Adobe's Audition. Is it the same as the Izotope RX or a predecessor maybe?

Martin Hairer wrote:
I am afraid that Apple’s pitch-shifting algorithm (which is what Amadeus uses) isn’t always that great at its job. In particular, it does seem to create these pops in some cases. In your situation however, slowing the sound down to 89% without doing anything else would induce a pitch-shift of almost exactly 2 half-tones anyway, so you’re probably better off selecting the “Lock” checkbox which turns off pitch-shifting altogether.
Thanks for the particular info about Apple's plug-in. Most tracks get a few clicks/pops, others do not at all...strange...
The lock checkbox is always active, because it's exactly two halftones that I want to go "down".[/i]

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

jdb

Post by jdb »

Jim Edgar wrote:Well - I figured that Clicks is Clicks...
Oh, now I see... I was thinking about pitching all the time – not (de-)clicking... Thanks anyway!
The plug-in Izotope Radius is a pitch plug-in in Adobe Audition, while the Izotope RX is for repair/restoration.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

The lock checkbox is always active
Now that’s weird, with the lock checkbox active there shouldn’t be any artifacts. Would it be possible to send me a “before” and “after” file as well as the precise settings used to produce it? Also, are you using the latest version (2.1.5)? Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

jdb

Post by jdb »

Martin Hairer wrote:
The lock checkbox is always active
Would it be possible to send me a “before” and “after” file as well as the precise settings used to produce it?
I have prepared an .zip-Archive for that which contains all the info. Please see your PM with the following subject:

Code: Select all

pitch > click error

jdb

Post by jdb »

Dear Mr. Hairer,

do you have any news on the matter?

Up to now I have been going on using Adobe Audition, because its pitch/tempo algorithm doesn't produce artefacts. But I can not export lossless m4a alac from Audition !! (though I can read/open it). What did I pay Adobe for? It's all very strange ...

I would really like to go back to Amadeus Pro, it's definitely my favourite Audio tool. Can you fix this whole pitch-click-error thing?

With best regards,
jdb

ayesha

Post by ayesha »

ave to check all the tracks, which I have edited the last months, for flaws/clicks and repair/interpolate the bits. ................
aashi

jdb

Post by jdb »

ayesha wrote:ave to check all the tracks, which I have edited the last months, for flaws/clicks and repair/interpolate the bits. ................
'got the same problem. Lucky me, I have marked all of them. so no searching, just working ;)