Background hiss from old LP

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

slips

Background hiss from old LP

Post by slips »

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about the removal of the hiss from a file taken from an old LP.

This file has been processed through Click Repair and has been normalized to 0.0 db. I tried to use noise suppression, but it distorted the file. You can access the file from my public Dropbox account below.

Thanks

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18377805/Testmusicfile.aif

Sonic Purity

Post by Sonic Purity »

I’m not hearing hiss on your sample. I’m hearing vinyl clicks/crackles + what sounds to me like a rattling cartridge cleaning brush.

If you have some sort of cleaning/damping brush attached to your phono cartridge/stylus, remove it (or if removal is not an option, raise it and lock it tight so it won’t rattle), readjust the tracking force to compensate for the change, and re-digitize. I can’t think of any way to get rid of that sound in the digital domain without badly damaging the desired audio. If there’s no brush, something else is rattling. You should find out what it is and fix it.

For the remaining crackles etc. i’d be using more aggressive settings of ClickRepair. If you haven’t been using the Crackle settings, try those. (This assumes the inability to find a cleaner, less damaged copy of the record.)
))Sonic((

slips

Post by slips »

Thanks, I'll have to try the more aggressive settings in Click Repair, and crackle as well. The LP is quite old and has been played into its present condition. It's not in the stylus.

alansilv

hiss/crackle from old lp

Post by alansilv »

I'm much more used to processing out ambient noise (a/c, fans, echo, etc.), but I did a quick pass on your file thru the NR and click/crackle functions in Izotope RX. Maybe with a more experienced hand/ear you can get the results you want:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35118740/Testmusicfile.wav