AUDynamicsProcessor instructions?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

boboosta

AUDynamicsProcessor instructions?

Post by boboosta »

Where can I find instructions for using the Audio Unit Effect called AUDynamicsProcessor. I do understand settings for Gates, Compressors, and Limiters. However, I cannot figure out how to set these properly using this Audio Unit plugin. The interface for this plugin changed a couple of years ago, I think. You used to set the parameters by typing in numbers (or moving slider controls). Now, the interface is an X-Y graph--which I find confusing. By the way, I am using this audio unit for speech.

Basically, I want the following settings:
- No gate
- No lower threshold (i.e., compress all volume levels)
- Compression ratio of 3:1
- Peak limiter at -6 db

I tried to set the compression ratio to something greater than 1.0, but when I did so it also created a gate (which silences all sounds below a specific volume level).

Are there any instructions for using this? How do I set the compression level without creating a gate?

karlgoethebier

Post by karlgoethebier »

Hi boboosta,

go to Preferences/Advanced and click on "Use generic user interface for Audio Units". Then you have your sliders and the numerical input back.

Regards,

Karl
Last edited by karlgoethebier on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karlgoethebier

Post by karlgoethebier »

BTW: The only available documentation provided by Apple about Audio Units can be found here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... ction.html