Heat and fan noise with Amadeus playback

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Sir Cecil

Post by Sir Cecil »

I am using a 2010 Macbook Pro (with OSX Lion) and Apogee Duet 2 audio interface (USB) and Focal powered monitors (or headphones).
Can someone explain why, when I listen to an Amadeus file my computer heats up and the fans often start blowing loudly, but when I place the same file in iTunes and play it back, there are no such problems?
The typical file is a standard CD rip, with just a couple of tracks or sections edited out.
When the Amadeus file is replayed (in Amadeus Pro), the computer's Activity Monitor shows an Amadeus Pro %CPU of between 16 and 24.
When playing the same file (saved as an AIFF) in iTunes, the %CPU is only around 4 or 5.
Is there something I need to be aware of that will enable me to avoid the heat and fan noise issue? Do the above CPU readings indicate any abnormality? Thanks.

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Remember AP is scrolling the window and the data while Itunes doesn't.
That means lots of rewrites of the screen. Those don't come for free.
Possibly if you compressed the window to a narrow width, then the load
would be less.

Chuck

On 12/25/11 2:22 AM, Sir Cecil wrote:
I am using a 2010 Macbook Pro (with OSX Lion) and Apogee Duet 2 audio interface (USB) and Focal powered monitors (or headphones).
Can someone explain why, when I listen to an Amadeus file my computer heats up and the fans often start blowing loudly, but when I place the same file in iTunes and play it back, there are no such problems?
The typical file is a standard CD rip, with just a couple of tracks or sections edited out.
When the Amadeus file is replayed (in Amadeus Pro), the computer's Activity Monitor shows an Amadeus Pro %CPU of between 16 and 24.
When playing the same file (saved as an AIFF) in iTunes, the %CPU is only between 2 and 4.
Is there something I need to be aware of that will enable me to avoid the heat and fan noise issue? Do the above CPU readings indicate any abnormality? Thanks.

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

Sir Cecil

Post by Sir Cecil »

Thank you Chuck.