Navigation in Amadeus pro

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

christian.kogler

Post by christian.kogler »

Hi, I find navigating in Amadeus pro rather complicated. It jumps back to the beginning when I don't want it too, etc.. Maybe I'm not used to the software yet. Are their tricks I should know?

christian.kogler

Grrh, it's really ennoying!

Something in amadeus just works totally different then in all other audio editing programs I know, concerning navigation! Grrh!

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

Just because there are many possibilities, you can set the behaviour you like in the General tab of Preferences.
The trick is to use space and tab and double-click for different situations.
More on this in the Manual e.g. at page 31.

Hi, I find navigating in Amadeus pro rather complicated. It jumps back to the beginning when I don't want it too, etc.. Maybe I'm not used to the software yet. Are their tricks I should know?
--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

IEDP gecertificeerd

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

If you are just doing basic playback, the main trick which will help
is to learn the <shift><Apple>Y keystroke. This jumps the "Play"
pointer (green bar) at the Insertion point - so if you are doing minor
edits, you can immediately hear the results. Also, simply double
clicking causes the file to play from where you double-click. I love
this feature and found it very helpful.

And definitely go through the manual.

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

It jumps back to the beginning when I don't want it to
The default behaviour is to follow the playback head, so this would happen
when you start playback. It can be changed in the prefs (uncheck "Display
follows playback"). If you have precise points that seem counterintuitive to you,
please tell us what they are or it will be difficult to help you. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Jemel

Re: Navigation in Amadeus pro

Post by Jemel »

christian.kogler wrote:Hi, I find navigating in Amadeus pro rather complicated. It jumps back to the beginning when I don't want it too, etc.. Maybe I'm not used to the software yet. Are their tricks I should know?
LOL. I did laugh when I read this. At first it seemed strange to me, also. Now I am so accustomed to the shortcuts that they seem natural. But every once in a while I forget and find myself back at the beginning, a bit jolted! However, the red line is usually where I last left it, so I go hunting for the red line.

And others have told you about the manual and the preferences.

christian.kogler

Thanks, I found all that! Sorry for my complaint, I was too quick complaining! Sometimes that happens to me! :wink:

jeffa

Post by jeffa »

This problem has been bugging me for a while, too, and the replies above do not provide an answer to my problem. I am running version 1.5.4 (1053) under OSX 10.6.6 on a MacBook Pro.

In Preferences, I have:

If selection is empty: play from insertion point
If selection is not empty: play selection

The problem is that hitting the space bar <b>sometimes</b> starts playing from the start of the sound file for no apparent reason.

The occurrence of this problem always seemed to be random. However, before posting this message, I did a bit of trial and error and seem to have nailed down the situation when it happens:

If I click in the waveform a red line and green marker appear at the place I clicked. If I then hit the space bar, the sound plays from that point, using a green line to indicate the progress of the play. O.K. so far.

If, <b>while the sound is playing</b>, I click in any place to the left of the green line and then hit the space bar, the play stops. Hitting the space bar a second time starts playing again, this time from the new place I clicked. Still O.K.

However, <b>while the sound is playing</b>, if I click in any place to the <b>right</b> of the green line and then hit the space bar, the play stops. Hitting the space bar a second time starts playing again, but this time from the <b>beginning</b> of the waveform. This is <b>not</b> what I want or expect it to do.

It seems to me that this is a bug but maybe it's a feature that I don't understand. I would be interested to hear feedback.
....Jeff

ioannis

same here + WISH

Post by ioannis »

However, while the sound is playing, if I click in any place to the right of the green line and then hit the space bar, the play stops. Hitting the space bar a second time starts playing again, but this time from the beginning of the waveform. This is not what I want or expect it to do.
Yes, this last one is rather irritating.
What I do then, is to just rely on the red-line [shift-spacebar] but this feels like a work-around...

Also the behaviour when in preferences "Continuous scrolling" is on, feels strange when: sound is playing and you navigate away (page forward/backwards) , then the sound plays but you see the page you went to and it's not moving. I can use this very well though, when doing a final control etc

The wish:
if possible add the ability to give a different colour to a selection, or track etc *on the fly*, it would make life very easy with different takes and edits.
Now colour is given for the whole window etc

Please :-)