New to Mac & Amadeus -- Need Manual

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mildsyd

Post by mildsyd »

Basic Question: Can I get an AP user manual, please? Happy to research myself, but can't find current answers on forum or a link to the manual.

Background: New to Mac OS X (v10.6.2); just migrated from PC. Been using Audacity (for streaming audio capture) and Adobe Audition (for editing, mixing, CD burning). Looks like Amadeus Pro (with Soundflower or Jackaudio) can replace these, but the comparison page doesn't include non-Mac apps...

Basic Questions:
1) Is that assessment correct?
2) Can I use AP to mix multiple songs into a single sound file -- using cross-fades, sound FX (like echos, etc.) -- to create gapless segues?
3) Can I use AP to insert CD track markers (i.e., CD track increments or separators) into sound files? Like a multi-song file I might have created above or to gaplessly separate a recorded speech or interview?
4) I'm pretty sure I can export these files to MP3 and WAV (as well as other formats). Correct?
5) Can I extract audio from a CD directly into AP?
6) Is attaching Soundflower and/or Jackaudio difficult?

Sorry for the very basic questions. As noted, I'd be happy to research if someone could point me at a manual...

Thanks.

mildsyd

rfwilmut

Re: New to Mac & Amadeus -- Need Manual

Post by rfwilmut »

mildsyd wrote:Basic Question: Can I get an AP user manual, please?
http://s3.amazonaws.com/AmadeusProManua ... manual.pdf

Control-click the link to download rather than display the manual (1.5MB).
1) Is that assessment correct?
Yes; APro is much better than Audacity.
2) Can I use AP to mix multiple songs into a single sound file -- using cross-fades, sound FX (like echos, etc.) -- to create gapless segues?

Yes
3) Can I use AP to insert CD track markers (i.e., CD track increments or separators) into sound files? Like a multi-song file I might have created above or to gaplessly separate a recorded speech or interview?

Yes, and burn a CD from APro
4) I'm pretty sure I can export these files to MP3 and WAV (as well as other formats). Correct?
Yes
5) Can I extract audio from a CD directly into AP?
Yes
6) Is attaching Soundflower and/or Jackaudio difficult?

I'll have to leave that for someone else to answer.

You can download it and try it out before purchasing a licence.

mildsyd

Post by mildsyd »

superb, rfwilmut. thank you very much or the reply.

mildsyd

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Of course you can just click help and the manual will appear in preview
or Acrobat reader.

Chuck

rfwilmut wrote:
mildsyd wrote:
Basic Question: Can I get an AP user manual, please?
http://s3.amazonaws.com/AmadeusProManua ... manual.pdf

Control-click the link to download rather than display the manual (1.5MB).

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

Sonic Purity

Re: New to Mac & Amadeus -- Need Manual

Post by Sonic Purity »

CDJonah_alt wrote:Of course you can just click help and the manual will appear in preview
or Acrobat reader.

Chuck
Quite true. Since mildsyd is new to the Mac (welcome!), i though it worth mentioning that different flavors of documentation can appear under the Help menu for different software, seemingly depending how the software creator has chosen to implement both Help and their documentation overall.

Invoking [name of program] Help under the Help menu may provide either limited help or a full user manual, the latter being the case in Amadeus Pro. Some software uses the dedicated Help Viewer program provided by Apple, with HTML-like presentation. Other software, like AP, have this item set up to trigger the opening of a PDF document in the particular Mac’s preferred PDF reader (Apple’s Preview being the default). In the specific case of AP, one gets the whole user manual PDF by invoking this item, just as if one has a separate PDF copy opened manually. The AP user manual PDF exists inside the AP application package, which is actually a stealth folder with all sorts of bits inside to make a complete application program. So, when one has the Amadeus Pro application, one has the user manual PDF inside it.
))Sonic((

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Sonic, thanks for the great explanation.
The AP user manual PDF exists inside the AP application package, which is actually a stealth folder with all sorts of bits inside to make a complete application program. So, when one has the Amadeus Pro application, one has the user manual PDF inside it.
This used to be the case but isn't true anymore in the recent versions of AP. Now AP actually tries to download the manual from the internet the first time you launch it (or if it happens to be missing for some other reason) and saves it into the "~/Library/Application Support/Amadeus Pro" folder.

The reason for the change is that this allows to update the manual without having to update the application and vice-versa. Furthermore, this keeps downloads smaller by preventing you from having to download the translations of the manual in languages you don't need. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

mildsyd

Post by mildsyd »

wow! thanks, all! i even got martin into the act. i really appreciate everyone's input & assistance!

mildsyd

davehere

Manual

Post by davehere »

I also, am new to AP, and I find the manual is lacking.

What I would like to see is an additional comprehensive listing [by menu command] as the reference and a general how-to-do-it as the manual.

Just so that there is no confusion, I have already downloaded and printed the .pdf article, [so that I can start filling it up with notes]. Without the cross-reference it is only half completed. Hence, I'm out here looking for the missing answers.

davehere

mildsyd

Post by mildsyd »

what a great idea, davehere! i'm certain that, when you're done, the other participants on the forum will welcome your manual update / appendix. it'd be fabulous if you could share it! thanks!

mildsyd