Amadeus 1.4.1 refuses to play anything

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

columbia

Post by columbia »

Have used Amadeus 1.4.1 without a problem for more than a month until today. Use a MacPro 1.1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66Ghz running Mac OS X 10.5.7. Mostly I record LP tracks in AIFF with Audacity (have not figured how to record with Amadeus) clean up the files with ClickRepair DeNoise and Amadeus, play the resulting AIFF's in Amadeus until I'm satisfied with the results and export as Mp3's at 320kbps to iTunes.
Was playing some AIFF's earlier today on Amadeus, left for groceries. Came back and wanted to play an inspirational sermon on mp3 on Amadeus while I had supper. Amadeus refused to play it. This is a sermon I have listened to many times on Amadeus without a problem. I tried to play other mp3's and AIFF's but Amadeus would load the file, even export a file playable on Audacity, but Amadeus would not play anything. Trashed preferences, restarted the Mac-nothing. Trashed Amadeus, downloaded a new dmg of Amadeus, installed, and it would not play anything. Amadeus preferences are the same as for iTunes & Audacity. They will play the files that Amadeus will not play. There are no error messages. If I try to fast forward the file on Amadeus the finder reports Amadeus is not responding. Amadeus accepts my name and serial number.
Any help would be appreciated.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Have you tried to reboot?

To record in Amadeus, select "Record to New File" in the sound menu or
hit the button with the red dot in the sound window. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

columbia

Post by columbia »

Problem solved. After rebooting and reinstalling many times without resolving the problem, I decided to change the audio output, and that worked. My default audio output for Amadeus and all other sources is to M-Audio's Firewire 410 Multichannel interface which plays through M-Audio's Studiophile Surround Sound Reference Monitors. Although Amadeus had played through that output for weeks it unexpectedly stopped doing so. I found however that Amadeus would play through other outputs such as internal speakers, etc. Checking Amadeus' advanced settings I found that although the Nominal Sample Rate was set at 44100Hz for other outputs, it was set at 192000Hz for the Firewire 410 output. That didn't make sense. Since I work a lot with recording LP records I understand that the setting should be 44100Hz for input at least, and that is where the other outputs were set at Well Firewire 410 does not allow for a choice of 44100Hz for output, it but does allow for 48000Hz. I chose that, and now all is well. How the output went to 1920000Hz I don't know. The MacPro was at sleep, and woke up to that setting. Very weird. Anyhow my beautiful Amadeus is back and a few hours of work looking for a solution paid off.