Overlarge Audio Unit window

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

OK, I feel silly for having to ask this question, but hey.

I have an Audio Unit called KTGranulator. In Amadeus Pro it opens fine, but the window containing it is so tall that it spills off the bottom of the screen even when placed at its highest possible position. Consequently, I can not access the bottommost controls, nor the "Preview," "Cancel" and "Apply" buttons that Amadeus puts at the base of the Audio Unit window. The window cannot be resized or scrolled, and my MacBook Pro display is already at its maximum resolution (1440 x 900).

Any suggestions for how I can reach the bottom of this overlarge Audio Unit window?

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

First, I'd contact the person who did the Mac programming of this plugin (see their site) and tell them to make it better. It's apparent that it's pretty useless as such. And the plugin package doesn't have an editable GUI, so there's no way for us to hack it this time... :)

Other than that, there are ways to rotate the display in 90 degrees steps, even if the graphic card or Leopard doesn't support it directly. Here's one way that might work, but I didn't test it:
http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/ind ... opic=28484

Other than that, attach any external display and position it (virtually) either above or below your built-in display.

[EDIT: changed the wording to "90 degrees" because the forum software obviously falsely converted the degrees character.]
Last edited by Lou Kash on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEes

Post by MrEes »

The display on my Powerbook is also 1440x900 and the controls are
visible?cut off, but visible?in KTGranulator when the window is moved
up to abut the menu bar. Are you using a larger font perhaps?

Anyway, [cmd]. = cancel and [return] = apply.

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Tristan evinced:
I have an Audio Unit called KTGranulator
(http://koen.smartelectronix.com/KTGranulator/). In Amadeus Pro it
opens fine, but the window containing it is so tall that it spills
off the bottom of the screen even when placed at its highest
possible position. Consequently, I can not access the bottommost
controls, nor the "Preview," "Cancel" and "Apply" buttons that
Amadeus puts at the base of the Audio Unit window. The window
cannot be resized or scrolled, and my MacBook Pro display is already
at its maximum resolution (1440 x 900).

Any suggestions for how I can reach the bottom of this overlarge
Audio Unit window?

Lou Kash

Re: Overlarge Audio Unit window

Post by Lou Kash »

michaelRees wrote:The display on my Powerbook is also 1440x900 and the controls are visible
Alright, that brought me to another idea...

I made a window screenshot (cmd-shift-4 + move over the window + space bar + click) which shows that indeed almost all but the Amadeus buttons are actually visible, the lowest slider being "Max Skew". What you can't access is "Lock Skew" checkbox though.

So, what might also help in this case is to make the AU window wrapper in Amadeus more flexible, at least by saving a bunch of pixels in the Presets popup menu area at the top. But ideally it should wrap tall GUI into a scrollbar window.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Lou Kash wrote:First, I'd contact the person who did the Mac programming of this plugin (see their site) and tell them to make it better. It's apparent that it's pretty useless as such. And the plugin package doesn't have an editable GUI, so there's no way for us to hack it this time... :)
Yeah. Like many amateur developers, KTGranulator's developer hasn't updated this plugin for several years, so I suspect he or she might not be responsive to requests. I dimly recall that the old VST version (PPC only) had a more compact, customized GUI, but that fell by the wayside when it was converted to the AU version.
Lou Kash wrote:Other than that, attach any external display and position it (virtually) either above or below your built-in display.
Probably overkill for most folks, but not an unreasonable solution for me. I've been thinking about adding a second display to my workspace. Besides solving this little problem, having more screenage will let me spread out and improve my overview of the big picture when multitasking on audio projects. In fact, I've already got an old iMac here that I'm about to try adapting into a second monitor using ScreenRecycler.
michaelRees wrote:Anyway, [cmd]. = cancel and [return] = apply.
Thank you - I'd been trying to remember what the keyboard shortcut for "Cancel" buttons was.

You don't happen to have one up your sleeve for the "Preview" button now, do you? LOL
Lou Kash wrote:But ideally it should wrap tall GUI into a scrollbar window.
Agreed.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

Tristan wrote:
Lou Kash wrote:But ideally it should wrap tall GUI into a scrollbar window.
Agreed.
It may be harder than it seems. I checked with other software (Wave Editor, Logic) and neither does. In Logic 8 you can at least hide the top part of the wrapper so that all of the Granulator's controls are accessable. That works fine on a 15" MBP - but on a MB or even an older PB or an iBook you'd be out of luck...

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

It may be harder than it seems. I checked with other software (Wave
Editor, Logic) and neither does. In Logic 8 you can at least hide
the top part of the wrapper so that all of the Granulator's controls
are accessable. That works fine on a 15" MBP - but on a MB or even
an older PB or an iBook you'd be out of luck...
The reason is that many (actually all I know of) plug-ins provide a
Carbon interface and not a Cocoa one. So even getting this into a
Cocoa application is a horrible hack. Basically, what appears to be a
view in the window is a second borderless "Carbon" window floating in
front and somehow locked to the window behind. Obviously, this hack
wouldn't allow to display only part of the view. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

Martin Hairer wrote:So even getting this into a Cocoa application is a horrible hack.
Out of interest, I have also written about this problem to the Wave Editor support team, as it's an issue in their app as well. Since they are "all-Cocoa", it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

In any case, it might be already helpful if you could redesign the window wrapper so that your controls and buttons would be all at the top more like a toolbar and that the wrapper would have a "Hide Toolbar" button, similar to the Logic 8 approach.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

By the way, the folks from the Wave Editor team also confirmed that there's nothing they can do about such windows.