Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wav header data

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anechoic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: wav header data Reply with quote

- I've mastered 5 pieces of music at 24/96 on OS X using Peak 4.0 (before I started using AP full time)
- two files were saved out as wav the other three as aiff's - for no reason just forgot to save them all as wavs
- so I converted the aiffs to wavs on OS X using various apps: AP, SoundConverter, Peak and Soundhack - you will see why I used various apps in a minute
- I copied all 5 files to a FAT32 formatted USB stick
- sneaker netted the USB stick over to a laptop running XP so I could use a command line app called Lplex - this authors music DVD's at 24/96 with a jpg title screen.
- I dragged the 5 files over onto the apps bat file to start rendering the iso
- I got an error message that 3 files have wrong header info and are 'non-canonical'

- I was able to fix this last time by opening and saving out in Soundhack audio app on OS X - but the app didn't deal with the little endian microsoft wav file format - so it was garbage/noise
- the 3 files that got this error message had started out as aiff files saved out from Peak 4.0 on OS X
- Peak puts some legacy <resource> data called oVEW in the header that I suspcet doesn't get cleaned up while converting the an aiff file to a wav
- I am using Resourcerer on OS X to look at the resource forks
- note: in Resourcerer the <RF> data appears to be gone from the converted wav files but still throws on error on XP in Lplex

- I then tried Audacity to open and save out the files as wavs
and the Lplex app liked these files

so my questions are:
- can you check to see that the headers are cleaned up when opening and converting an aiff file made in Peak 4.0 to a wav file?
- also it would be very handy if AP were to display the Type and Creator fields somewhere -- possible in a future release?

this feature would be a handy tool for sound people working xplatform and dealing with legacy OS9 <RF> issues when xfering files to XP and Linux systems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: