Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor recording quality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesleylotto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Poor recording quality Reply with quote

Hi there. I am a news reporter. While recording into my MacBook with Amadeus Pro, I will intermittently get a horrible, audible, sound over my voice. Part of the recording will be fine, but then on playback it will begin to sound awful (like a trial version of a program that you have not bought!). I use an Alesis Multi 8 USB mixer into the Mac with a condenser mic. HELP! I have unhappy radio station clients!! Shocked
rfwilmut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you connect something like a cassette recorder to the line inputs and record - do you get the same problem? If not, then there may be a problem with the microphone or its lead.

Can you describe the sound in more detail? Is it a noise, or distortion, or breakup>

Incidentally, make sure when using a mic that a) play-through is not enabled in Amadeus, and b) that the '2-TK to MIX' button isn't pressed.
heaton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Poor recording quality Reply with quote

Quote:
What happens if you connect something like a cassette recorder to
the line inputs and record - do you get the same problem? If not,
then there may be a problem with the microphone or its lead.

Can you describe the sound in more detail? Is it a noise, or
distortion, or breakup>

Incidentally, make sure when using a mic that a) play-through is not
enabled in Amadeus, and b) that the '2-TK to MIX' button isn't
pressed.

I don't believe you are asking me Smile, but I connect my cassette
recorder to the line inputs and record to Amadeus with no problem.
CP
rfwilmut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Poor recording quality Reply with quote

heaton wrote:

I don't believe you are asking me Smile, but I connect my cassette
recorder to the line inputs and record to Amadeus with no problem.

Well, as you correctly surmise I was asking the OP, in order to try to isolate where the problem is: if a cassette machine into the mixer works OK then the mic, its leaad, or the mic channel may be at fault. If the cassette recorder doesn't then there may be a problem with the output stage of the mixer, or with the interface into the computer. It would also be useful to test with another interface. In the absence of any more info (or knowing what the problem sounds like) one is left casting about with guesses to attempt to diagnose it.
lesleylotto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot connect a cassette, but I do use the mixing board and mic on my PC as well with no problem. I can send whoever a copy of the sound as it degenerated. It was fine to start, then degenerated into static. sounded terrible, I could or had to, re-record. This is a sporadic problem, but VERY problematic when on deadline. Thanks!!
rfwilmut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like digital breakup, which can be caused by the computer simply not keeping up with the incoming signal. The computer itself will be well fast enough to do audio, but you should probably try closing every other program to free up the processor, and if you are connected via a USB hub you should bypass it and go directly into the computer.
lesleylotto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not connected via hub, no other programs had been open except for a text reading program because, as stated earlier, I'm a reporter, so I was reading into mic from a script.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: