Poor Audio Quality

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

stellar808

Poor Audio Quality

Post by stellar808 »

In a recent upgrade, the waveforms appear to have more resolution. Some days ago, I ran a system optimizer to delete old system caches and while I've not noticed any problems anywhere else, Amadeus Pro 2.4.2 now displays the wave form the "more coarse" way it did before the update and the sound is noticeably different.

I have the Inputs and Outputs set correctly, same as my DAW but the sound is "boxy" out of Amadeus. The file sounds fine at the system level when played from the Finder but a reduction quality in Amadeus Pro. File sample rate is 44.1kHz. AIFF uncompressed.

I've tried reinstalling the application with no difference. Restart. No difference.
[/img]

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Poor Audio Quality

Post by Martin Hairer »

In a recent upgrade, the waveforms appear to have more resolution. Some days ago, I ran a system optimizer to delete old system caches and while I've not noticed any problems anywhere else, Amadeus Pro 2.4.2 now displays the wave form the "more coarse" way it did before the update and the sound is noticeably different.
The "new" waveform display uses Metal and is much smoother than the "old" display. By default, Amadeus tries to use Metal, but if it fails for some reason, then it falls back onto the old display engine. Reasons for Metal to fail loading include running on OS X 10.10 or earlier, running in 32 bit mode, or running on a Mac with an unsupported graphics card (typically models from before about 2012). Some recent versions of OS X also have a bug which occasionally causes Metal to fail even when all stars seem to otherwise have aligned ;-)

In any case, this purely affects the display of the waveform and is completely unrelated to the sound which actually gets sent to the audio card.

It might be that you inadvertently changed some setting which causes the symptoms you describe (although I can't really see what it could be). To get back to factory settings, you can trash the preferences file located in ~/Library/Preferences/com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro.plist. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Poor Audio Quality

Post by Martin Hairer »

PS: You can check whether Metal is being used by hitting '0'.

PPS: If you are using the App Store version, then you cannot reset
to factory defaults by the method described above. Please use instead
the version at <http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip>.

Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

stellar808

Re: Poor Audio Quality

Post by stellar808 »

Martin Hairer wrote:
The "new" waveform display uses Metal and is much smoother than the "old" display. By default, Amadeus tries to use Metal, but if it fails for some reason, then it falls back onto the old display engine. Reasons for Metal to fail loading include running on OS X 10.10 or earlier, running in 32 bit mode, or running on a Mac with an unsupported graphics card (typically models from before about 2012). Some recent versions of OS X also have a bug which occasionally causes Metal to fail even when all stars seem to otherwise have aligned ;-)

In any case, this purely affects the display of the waveform and is completely unrelated to the sound which actually gets sent to the audio card.

It might be that you inadvertently changed some setting which causes the symptoms you describe (although I can't really see what it could be). To get back to factory settings, you can trash the preferences file located in ~/Library/Preferences/com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro.plist. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

That worked splendidly. Ditching Prefs was a first reaction but I need to do something to get the old and new Set# in the same place for easy reference. Wonder if my plug in setting were reset to default? Anyway - the sound is back to normal and it could have been my panic button regarding he appearance. Thank you so much.

Ontiveros

Post by Ontiveros »

This worked like a charm. I've had the same issue and must have messed with the wrong settings. Thanks Martin.