Looking at levels in a file with VoiceOVer?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Dan Eickmeier

Post by Dan Eickmeier »

Hi all, I’m a voiceOVer user here, and I’m wondering if there’s any way to look at levels in a file during playback, and recording as well? Surely there are level metres on the screen, but they don’t seem to be at all visible to VoiceoVer at least during playback? I think they are in the record dialog, which is good. Any help on this would be appreciated. =

Garth Humphreys

Post by Garth Humphreys »

Hi Dan

As you mentioned, in the recording dialog there are options to see your current recording level, one for each of left and right channels. The meters show up to VO as buttons, and the values read out are the highest peaks since the buttons were last pressed. These are amazingly valuable in setting your recording level.
I really wish there was such a meter that showed up in the main interface and showed similar info to VO on playback. In lieu of this, we have the Wave Form statistics within the analysis menu. This is really helpful and amongst other things, will show you peak sample, min, average, max RMS over a configurable window for either the whole file, where no selection exists or over a specific time selection.
Hope this helps a little
Garth

On 3 Oct 2017, at 5:35 am, Dan Eickmeier <va3ets2000@me.com> wrote:

Hi all, I’m a voiceOVer user here, and I’m wondering if there’s any way to look at levels in a file during playback, and recording as well? Surely there are level metres on the screen, but they don’t seem to be at all visible to VoiceoVer at least during playback? I think they are in the record dialog, which is good. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Dan Eickmeier

Post by Dan Eickmeier »

Hi Garth, cool. Thanks for the tip about the waveform statistics window. I agree, it would be good if we had access to meters in the main window, as I’d have to think there are some, but VO isn’t picking that up.
On Oct 3, 2017, at 6:00 AM, Garth Humphreys <ghum01@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Dan

As you mentioned, in the recording dialog there are options to see your current recording level, one for each of left and right channels. The meters show up to VO as buttons, and the values read out are the highest peaks since the buttons were last pressed. These are amazingly valuable in setting your recording level.
I really wish there was such a meter that showed up in the main interface and showed similar info to VO on playback. In lieu of this, we have the Wave Form statistics within the analysis menu. This is really helpful and amongst other things, will show you peak sample, min, average, max RMS over a configurable window for either the whole file, where no selection exists or over a specific time selection.
Hope this helps a little
Garth

On 3 Oct 2017, at 5:35 am, Dan Eickmeier <va3ets2000@me.com> wrote:

Hi all, I’m a voiceOVer user here, and I’m wondering if there’s any way to look at levels in a file during playback, and recording as well? Surely there are level metres on the screen, but they don’t seem to be at all visible to VoiceoVer at least during playback? I think they are in the record dialog, which is good. Any help on this would be appreciated.